School shooting suspect ‘was potential threat’
THE Florida school shooting suspect referred to himself as the “annihilator” and had been flagged as a potential threat before the massacre.
Accused gunman Nikolas de Jesus Cruz, 19, was a former student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, US, where he allegedly returned and opened fire on students and teachers on Wednesday.
At least 17 people were killed and up to 50 injured in the shooting, which saw terrified teachers and students hiding in cupboards and under desks as they texted for help. Fire Chief Dan Booker told the Miami Herald the death toll was expected to climb.
A former maths teacher, Jim Gard, said Cruz had been previously identified as a security threat and had been informed last year that he wouldn’t be allowed on campus with a backpack.
“We were told last year that he wasn’t allowed on campus with a backpack on him,” Mr Gard said. “There were problems with him last year threatening students, and I guess he was asked to leave campus.”
The sheriff said they have begun to dissect his websites and social media and “some of the things ... are very, very disturbing.”
One student said: “Everything he posts is about weapons. It’s sick”.