Ea­gles on a high Un­der 14

The Riverine Herald - - LOCAL CLASSIES -

Echuca United In per­fect con­di­tions the boys took on De­niliquin in the sec­ond semi-fi­nal at Nu­murkah on Sun­day.

United got the first clear­ance and was con­trol­ling the game early, but couldn’t fin­ish off their good work miss­ing their first few shots on goal.

The Ea­gles were match­ing it with the Rams, but not hurt­ing them on the score­board as De­niliquin went on to take a 10-point lead at quar­ter time.

The sec­ond quar­ter was pretty much the same and the boys were work­ing hard for no re­ward and to De­niliquin’s credit they were get­ting re­ward for their ef­fort.

Deni held a 22-point lead at half-time, but a rev-up from the Ea­gles coach got the boys go­ing.

They came out fir­ing and got a cou­ple of early goals to get back in the game, and were start­ing to get on top all over the ground.

They were nine points down go­ing into the last quar­ter be­fore Jesse Gar­ner stepped up and kicked a great goal on a tight an­gle to be within a cou­ple of points.

It was go­ing down to the wire yet again.

With less than five min­utes of play left, Gar­ner took a mark in the goal square and put the boys up by five points.

The boys were lift­ing as Corey Gar­ner, who had plenty of run left in him, and Eli Spiers were moved for­ward.

Spiers gave them a mark­ing op­tion and when he didn’t mark he brought it to ground and Levi Dixon was dom­i­nat­ing the ruck and giv­ing us first op­tion with the ball and again it came down to the dy­ing sec­onds.

The younger kids were stand­ing up not just re­ly­ing on our top age play­ers mak­ing it a great team ef­fort.

De­niliquin was charg­ing for­ward be­fore Jared Tay­lor took a match sav­ing strong mark in De­niliquin’s for- ward line with about 20 sec­onds to go.

The at­ti­tude of the boys was fault­less for the sec­ond week in a row. They never gave up and that’s what fi­nals footy is all about.

Now for Moama next week at Co­bram in an­other big game for the boys. in­ten­sity and they went into the third quar­ter break with a 19-point lead.

The last quar­ter saw the boys rally and get within one goal, but they just missed out.

The back­line held up re­ally well with Bai­ley Steen­buck and Ash Dewinne lead­ing the pack, Zac Stovell was prom­i­nent up for­ward with three goals along with Noah Mil­ner with two.

Jack Dug­gan did a great job in the ruck and the usual on-ball bri­gade, Cal­lum Doyle and Jake Knee­bone played re­ally well.

This week will be do or die against Fin­ley.

Full of run: Corey Garner drives the ball for­ward for Echuca United.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.