SECURITY OFFICERS PATROL OUR COURT
COURT security officers are expected to start patrolling Echuca Magistrates Court in December as part of a major safety overhaul.
It comes after several safety concerns and brawls at the courthouse, the most recent being a ght outside the building earlier this month.
In State Parliament recently, the Nationals leader and Member for Murray Plains Peter Walsh slammed the government for its failure to deliver on key recommendations from the Royal Commission into Family Violence. Mr Walsh said on May 2 last year, Attorney General Martin Pakula came to Echuca to announce his government would provide $1.1 million to make the Echuca courthouse safer. Mr Pakula said the refurbishment would deliver on key recommendations of the Royal Commission which included separate court access, safe waiting rooms and safe interview rooms, new court security officers (CSOs) to provide roving patrols and escort services for vulnerable people and a new walk-through metal detector. “It is completely unacceptable that 18 months has passed and not one safety measure has been put into place at the Echuca courthouse,” Mr Walsh said.
“In the meantime, family violence crime has continued to spiral in Campaspe Shire and violent outbursts at or in the vicinity of the courthouse continue to occur.
“I challenge the Attorney General to honour his obligations under the Royal Commission into Family Violence and to immediately take steps to deliver on his promise made to the people of Echuca.”
Court Services Victoria (CSV) chief operating officer Brian Stevenson said CSV provided a proposal to Campaspe Shire in May this year which substantially addressed the safety and security concerns.
“CSOs and screening equipment will be deployed to Echuca Magistrates Court as part of CSV’s rollout of a new court security model,” he said.
“When fully implemented, the new court security model will ensure all Victorian court and tribunal locations have security staff and screening equipment present on court sitting days.”
NATIONALS Member for Northern Victoria Luke O'Sullivan will vote against the Victorian Government’s assisted dying legislation.
Mr O’Sullivan said he came to the decision after many conversations with members of the health community and the public.
“While I am fundamentally not against the concept of voluntary dying, the devil is in the detail of the bill presented to Parliament,” he said.
“There are simply too many questions with not enough answers and I don’t trust the Andrews Government to fill the gaps on these unanswered questions.
“I find it astounding that Nembutal, which is the drug typically used for voluntary dying, has not been facilitated to be made available in Victoria by the Andrews Government.”
Mr O’Sullivan said there were too many doubts for him to be able to support the bill, but has spoken in support of the Liberal Nationals palliative care policy.
“We should put more focus on improving palliative care. The Liberal Nationals have put forth a palliative care policy, which would include a $140 million commitment to help provide palliative care support for up to another 8000 Victorians,” he said.
“These decisions are always difficult and take a great deal of thought and reflection. But I am satisfied that I am making the right choice.
“I hope that Victoria can strive towards improving palliative care policy instead of backing the assisted dying bill.”
Luke O’Sullivan is opposed to the proposal.