Chicken noodle soup
– 50g butter
– 2 brown onions, peeled and diced finely
– 1 large leek, trimmed and sliced thinly
– 2 garlic cloves, crushed
– 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
– 2 celery stalks, diced
– 2 litres chicken stock
– 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
– 1 bay leaf
– 250g thin egg noodles or soup noodles of your choice
– 1 cup cooked chicken meat
– 2 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Heat a large heavy-bottomed saucepan and melt the butter. Add the onion, leek and crushed garlic, cooking over a low heat until soft (about eight minutes). Add the diced vegetables, thyme and bay leaf and sauté for a moment or two. Add the stock and bring to the boil.
Turn down to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are firm-tender. Add soup noodles and cook according to the instructions relevant to the noodles of your choice (usually six to 10 minutes). Add the chicken meat to the soup and simmer for two minutes, until heated through. Check the seasoning and add salt if necessary.
Finish with parsley and serve.
NV Billecart-Salmon champagne, Mareuil-sur-Ay, France ($80) – Peter Watt, sommelier, du Fermier