Voodoo can go back-to-back
Pretty keen on 1. JORDA here.
sure she is going to be a well above average racehorse and I know Godolphin has huge opinion of her. Resumed from a year-long spell with a gutsy third to Pariah in the San Domenico at Rosehill three weeks ago when she found line strongly. Could have even finished a bit closer after enduring checkered passage half way down the straight. The one query is whether that run has taken the edge off her after such a long break. I’m saying no and I like fact she’s drawn out, allowing her to find her feet at her first attempt down the straight. Class will car ry a long way. 5.
ROOMOOZ is obvious threat after retur ning with g allant win beating Tulip at Moonee Valley three weeks ago. All the better for the run and will be stalking the leaders all the way. 4. SPLIT LIP is interesting runner. Also resuming last star t and loved the way she extended over the final 200m for a close four th to Cer tain Ellie at Mor phettville. She’s got plenty of ability and wor following. 7. TRUE EXCELSIOR (brave leading when third to Roomooz) and 13. MOET ROSE (well bred
impressive debut winner) rate as good chances.
Can’t find any reason to go against
1. ROYAL SYMPHONY. He likes F lemington, the distance is no problem, he only has 1kg more than 99% of his rivals and he’s drawn to get the gun run in midfield. The last time he was here he beat subsequent winner Anchor Bid easily and they g apped the rest of the field over 1600m here. By all re ports he has come back bigger and better. It looks like only bad luck will beat him. 4. MURAA
HIB is a genuine threat though. Excellent effor t when a closing third to Merchant Navy on resuming at Caulfield a for tnight ago. Had a lot of trouble getting clear g alloping room in the straight and arguably should have finished much closer. The big track here and the extra 200m look ideal. On face value, the run of 6. LONE
EAGLE behind Overshare at the Valley three weeks back was disappointing. But it was better than it appears. He charged home the last 200m in 11.55s coming from the tail of the field and just didn’t seem to appreciate the tighter circuit. F lemington will suit and he can figure here. 7. TOGA PICTA (an improver who relish being back in Melbour ne) and 14.
HULME (very impressive debut winner with a stack of ability) are ones to watch.
6. SNITZSON re presents good value here. Only lightly raced but already shown he can match it this sor t of company. Don’t forget he was a little unlucky when a stor ming third in the Australian Guineas last autumn. Held his g round when fifth to Hey Doc on resuming here and then eye-catching four th to Grande Rosso a for tnight ago when he charged home, clocking second fastest last 200m of the race after being three-wide, with cover, for the trip. Meets Chocolate Holic (close second) 1.5kg better and the big F lemington circuit ideal at this distance. Rates highly.
13. PURE PRIDE is a hope here at odds. Made up lot of g round on resuming at the Valley three weeks ago when unsuited by the tight circuit. Harder g rade here but drops 5kg and better placed at F lemington. 12. MR SNEAKY resumed with a dashing win at Caulfield two weeks back, producing a strong last 400m to outlast Theanswer myfriend. Even better suited back at headquar ters and 1400m. 15. VIOLATE doesn’t win often but he is a dual Group 3 place getter and was enor mous running on from the tail of the field behind Mr Sneaky when resuming. His last 200m 10.88s was only equalled on the day by G1 perfor mer Tosen Stardom. Will need the extra 200m but big track helps and will be finishing hard. 4.
CHOCOLATE HOLIC is a definite threat but not drawn the best and watch for 8. RADIPOLE to sprint well fresh.
4. VOODOO LAD was sensational on resuming at Caulfield two weeks ago. Tracked the leaders into the straight and then unleashed that familiar finishing sprint to win comfor tably. Just as effective second up and extra 100m should suit him even more. If there is one ne g ative, he’s yet to win in four tries at F lemington but he did chase home Redkirk War rior the Newmarket here and meets that horse slightly better at weights. No reason to think he can’t win ag ain. 9. SO
SI BON produced outstanding sectional times to charge home late for second Voodoo Lad last star t. Also caught the eye here when resuming at F lemington before that. Suited 1200m and will be rocketing home ag ain. 3.
REDKIRK WARRIOR is resuming but don’t forget he won the Newmarket first-up in autumn and has trialled well enough for his retur n here. The Kiwi sprinter SAVILE ROW has nice form lines back home and could sur prise at good odds. Twice beaten nar rowly in G1 g rade in the summer. 6. JA
PONISME has some claims.
6. CATCHY is ready to win now. Think she just needed the hit-out when second to Crown Witness at Caulfield four weeks back. Loomed to win at the 150m mark and then she just peaked on her run, still only going down nar rowly. The sectionals showed this as she had the fastest last 600m and 400m of
race but Crown Witness slightly bettered her in the last 200m. Takes on the colts here but she is high calibre as Blue Diamond win showed. Like the fact has drawn a little out here as she should find clear g alloping room, given the likelihood that they will all come down the rails side with the relatively small field. The one at odds to run a big race here is 8.
PLUTOCRACY. Loved his effort last star t when just caught on the line by Jukebox at Caulfield a month ago. He raced a little keenly outside the leader to the bend and then showed a tur n of foot to race clear inside last 200m only prove a sitting duck for Jukebox. Think he’s bit underestimated and will be a lot fitter. 9. ESPER
ANCE is unbeaten and has looked something special with the ease of his two wins. Faces tougher g rade here and maybe not drawn ideally but he’ll make his presence felt.
2. JUKEBOX is also unbeaten and all the better for the run. Just kee ps producing. Can easily enter tain 10. LIMESTONE and 11. BOOKER as chances.
Toughest race of the day. Think the value is 5. JENNIFER LYNN. Got no doubts she should have finished a lot closer first-up when sixth to Savanna Amour at Caulfield for tnight ago. Tracked three wide with cover to the tur n, was bolting in behind them waiting for a run but didn’t get clear until the last 100m. She’s a second up winner, has notched three wins from four tries at the trip and her only star t this course distance was a Listed win beating Prompt Response. Drawn to get the gun run here and can easily figure in the finish. 1. I AM THE
STAR is class runner. Has to contend with 59kg here but still only giving away 4kg at most her rivals. Fitter for two runs in, drawn ideally to position herself on or near the speed and this is her track – already a G1 Myer Classic and G2 Kewney Stakes winner here. 11. SWAMPLAND is just going so well at the moment. You can mount argument that she should have beaten Ore gon’s Day at Caulfield last star t when she just couldn’t find clear air until the race was almost over. Her previous two F lemington wins were full of merit. 3. OREGON’S
DAY was excellent on resuming and right at her top now. Big threat ag ain. Kiwi visitor 15. LET
HER RIP is a roughie who could sur prise.
1. HARTNELL is just too good. Second best racehorse running around in the country at the moment. Absolutely brilliant in destroying a high class field at Caulfield month ago, producing a last 200m of 11.86s with his ears pricked. It’s scary to think that that’s the first time in his career he has won first-up. Twice won second-up, 3 of 8 at this trip and the big expanses F lemington look ideal (who can forget his Tur nbull Stakes win here last year). Just wins ag ain. 6. HUMI
DOR is ready to strike his best. Only finished 8th Ve ga Magic in the Memsie at Caulfield two weeks ago but his sectional splits were enor mous, clocking 10.91s for his last 200m as he ran through the line with gusto. Australian Cup winner at this track. 3. LE
ROMAIN is a winner of the G1 Cantala Stakes over this course and distance. Would probably have liked to see him finish a little closer Ve g a Magic last star t but is probably looking for the 1600m now. 2. BLACK HEART BART (all quality but not ideally suited at the mile) and 10. INFERENCE (unbeaten second-up, including a G1 Randwick Guineas win) will race well.
They say weight can stop a train but not sure if it’s enough to stop
1. ALMANDIN. The Melbourne Cup winner has to shoulder 61kg but think he’s simply head and shoulders above these. Dynamic effort on resuming when finding the line strongly to beat all but Pacodali at Moonee Valley three weeks ago. That run showed he had come back as well as ever. The last time he was at this course and distance easily won the Bart Cummings on his way to winning the Cup. Important note that Damien Oliver is back on board (two rides for two wins
him). 12, YOGI is a pro g ressive young stayer who drops 4.5kg in this tougher g rade after his deter mined win here last month. Has been freshened up and will be charging home. 6. HANS HOL
BEIN will welcome this distance. Not disg raced in two runs back and the last time he ran at 2500m here he led all the way to win by 8 lengths, albeit in easier g rade. Still think 2. BONDI BEACH has something to offer and I’ll include him in my multiples. 11. SUPER HAZE (brave last star t) and 13.
CROCODILE ROCK (big weight relief ) will also run well.
This looks a good race for 3. AME
LIE’S STAR. Held her g round behind Har tnell first-up and then ran on g amely for third to Hell Or Highwater at Caulfield a for tnight ago, Pushed wide on the tur n and was probably entitled to wilt on her r jn but fought strongly still able to break 12s for her last 200m. Drawn get the soft run in midfield here and only needs an ounce of luck to test this field. Sweating on 18. TIAMO GRACE getting a run here. Tipped her last star t in the same Hell Or Highwater and she was desperately unlucky straight when unable to find any clear g alloping room. Should have finished a lot closer. Stays on the limit here and a retur n to F lemington, where she won the G2 Wakeful Stakes, will help her chances. 7. HARDHAM is an ATC Australian Derby placegetter all the better for his first-up run behind Grande Rosso a fortnight ago when blocked for run in the straight. He can sur prise. 1. AMOVATIO saves his best for this
track. 10. COOL CHAP is next best.