Rivals won’t Catch star filly
11. CASTELO interests me firstup. Two star ts back he car ried the same weight as Group class galloper Bur ning Front when four th to him over 1600m here, beaten less than two lengths. I know if Burning Front was in this race he’d be a pretty shor tpriced favourite as he has three G3 wins to his credit and wasn’t far away in the G1 Stradbroke in the winter. Is a first-up winner, three of his four wins have been at this trip and will be handy throughout. Worth the gamble at each-way odds. 5. STEEL FROST is a different horse since ar riving in Adelaide where he has notched soft wins his last two. Hit the front at the 200m like he had just joined in when too good for Fox Hall Mor phettville last time. Does shoot up weight but down in g rade and drawn to get the nice run off the pace. At his best at this distance too. 12. FOX
HALL star ted favourite behind Steel Frost when resuming and should strip a lot fitter. Also very ade pt at this trip. 18. BATTLE
CAMP and 19. THINK BABE are not without chances.
Going for a bit of value here in
3. LYUBA. Total forgive run last star t as she was found to be lame. Her previous effort was sound as she chased home Sullivan Bay in a leader-dominated race. Has finished second four times from six tries at Caulfield and second three times from three tries at this course and distance. Given a month off the last time that happened she was beaten nar rowly by Ocean Embers in G3 g rade at Hobart. Drawn perfectly to get the soft run and wor th a play here. 1. SNITTY
KITTY is resuming but perfor ms well fresh. She won first-up last campaign. Hasn’t raced since an impressive win in Listed g rade at Doomben when sitting on pace throughout. Genuine speedster who has drawn to get a nice run off the pace. Does have to car ry
full 60kg but class will her a long way. 2. SULLIVAN
BAY has g reat record at this trip and also goes well the track. Won only star t course
distance. Wasn’t beaten far in a hot for m race here last star t and also given a month’s freshen up. Go well. 5. QUILISTA showed a lot of pace to win firstup over this track and trip and beat home subsequent winner Theanswer myfriend. A little disappointing as an odds-on fancy at Mor phettville last star t but better than that and has strong claims ag ain.
1. HARDHAM really only needs to re produce his strong last-star t effor t to be winning ag ain here. Travelled beautifully in the run, eased out in the straight, hit front 200m and proved too strong for No zomi at F lemington. Right at his peak now and the last time he hit 2000m he won G2 Alister Clark Stakes en route to an ATC Australian Derby placing. Set weights scale here really helps him and will get the gun run again. Hard to see him losing. 3. PABLO’S EXPRESS has won three of his last four star ts and led all the way to give nothing else a chance at Sandown last time. This is cer tainly harder but he makes his own luck on pace and will be prominent for a long way. 5. TAIKOMOCHI is also leader and has been given
month off since his battling four th to Estikhraaj at Canterbury. Has extend to 2000m which is some query but sure to be in the firing line for a long way. 2. LYCURGUS should have finished a bit closer behind Anaheim here last weekend and the extra 200m will help him here.
8. COOL CHAP is ready to hit his best for m after two sound runs since resuming. Had be used up early from a wide draw to eventually find the rails off the speed at F lemington last star t. Didn’t get a lot of clear g alloping room until late in the running and then found it hard to pick up his momentum quickly when fourth to Hardham. Doesn’t win very often and again drawn a little awkwardly here but just needs an ounce of luck in finding a decent position early on to test these. 1. GUARDINI is helped with the claim and drawn ideally to get soft run in midfield. Very good when second to Hell Or Highwater here and given a month between runs. Third-up last campaign he won in G3 g rade at Randwick. Definite threat. 7.
AMOVATIO made up a stack of g round behind Hardham at F lemington last star t. Proven weight car rier who has won this track in the past and will be stor ming home late ag ain. Don’t be sur prised to see 17. RED ALTO run a race here. Enormous run behind Hardham at F lemington and suited at the weights.
Can’t really go ag ainst 1.
CATCHY. I’ve got no doubts she’ll handle the 1400m here. She’s very adaptable, settles well in her races and produces the big sprint late. Great racing patter n for a trip like this. Simply outclassed them at F lemington a for tnight ago and drawn to get the run of the race off the pace. Should be winning. 2. SHOALS is perhaps a little under rated but kee ps getting the job done. Unbeaten in four star ts and just too good for them at Moonee Valley on resuming last t. Drawn a little awkwardly but should cross into a forward position and take running down again. Reckon
3. LIMESTONE was going to be in the finish until she got knocked over in the race won by Catchy. Her racing patter n also suggests she’ll relish this trip. 4.
ROOMOOZ (better than last run suggests) and 6. BOOKER (very consistent) are the other main hopes.
Impossible to tip ag ainst 3.
ROYAL SYMPHONY. His laststar t win had be seen to be believed. In a world of trouble all the way down the straight until he finally saw daylight and then unleashed to catch Eclair Sunshine on the line. Unbeaten colt who strips even fitter for this and ag ain ideally suited at the set weights. If there are any ne g atives it is that he has his first look at Caulfield and drawn badly. But I reckon the outside draw will help him as he should avoid any interference. The one to beat ag ain. 1. INVADER is ready hit his straps after two runs from a spell. Held his g round in a fastrun race behind Menari at Rosehill and given three weeks off since. The last time he was this trip he won the G1 Sires Produce at Randwick. Gets the beautiful run off pace here and sure to be in the finish. 6. KEMENTARI is endowed with a lot of ability. Produced impressive final sectionals when closing off nicely in the race won by Menari at Rosehill. He is a lot fitter now and looks like he’ll relish the 1400m. Likewise 9. ESPERANCE, who cer tainly wasn’t disg raced behind Catchy at F lemington when making up good late g round.
1. HARTNELL is ready to retur n to his winning ways. Reckon he probably raced a little too close
the lead off genuine pace and proved sitting duck for Humidor in the Makybe Diva at F lemington. Think Ker rin McEvoy will allow him to find his own tempo and settle where he wants to be. Pace won’t be red hot, with Single Gaze probably leading, and that will allow him to work into the race when he wants to
unleash his famed finishing burst in straight. Reckon he’s just a bit too good for these. 8.
BONNEVAL is a class act and resumed with dominant win at Moonee Valley. This is definitely harder but she’s even better placed at the 1800m and all class. 2. BLACK HEART BART just loves Caulfield. This is probably as far as he wants to go but his class will see him in the finish ag ain. Expecting 5. INFERENCE to run a bold race and 9. SAMO
VARE is in g reat for m.
4. TOSEN STARDOM gets his chance. Think his for m lines just read better than these. Remember he was beaten a lip by Black Hear t Bar t in the G1 Futurity over this course and distance in the autumn chased home Palentino at F lemington, beating home Harlem. This campaign he was only beaten four lengths by Har tnell first-up and then beaten two lengths by Ve ga Magic in the G1 Memsie here. Given a month off since then and interesting to see he’s wearing blinkers for the first time. Does have to ne gotiate a wide bar rier draw but there seems to be genuine speed here, so Blake Shinn should be able to get across and find a position.
3. SCALES OF JUSTICE was very er ratic before running a game second to Redkirk War rior at F lemington a for tnight ago. He’ll relish the 1400m here and looks well above average. 1. IT’S
SOMEWHAT is a Doncaster Hcp winner who has won three times from seven first-up appearances, including last campaign. Warmed up for this with an easy trial at Cranbour ne and will take tossing. 5. GRANDE ROSSO is very honest and goes well at this track and distance.
Going for the value in 12.
BADAJOZ. Very honest performer who was impressive winning at Rosehill last month, producing strong closing sectional times. Goes up in g rade here but well suited on the limit weight and drawn to get gun run. Goes really well fresh and has handled Caulfield in the past. 2. ABILITY is definitely the one to beat. Given a decent break since his dominant win over Lankan Rupee at Sandown, his four th straight win. He also goes really well fresh and has won three of six at this trip. Don’t be put off by the wide draw as there is only home tur n to ne gotiate from 1100m star t. Expecting 3. FAATINAH run a race here. He is three from four first-up and don’t forget he was
g reat second to Sheidel in the Oakleigh Plate over this course and distance in the autumn. 1. HELLBENT (fitter and classy),
7. MALIBU STYLE (ready to
win) and 10. OCEAN EMBERS (unbeaten first-up) have strong claims.