Sheidel can collect the Cash
Tough race of first starters. 9. SACRED SWORD interests me. Beautifully bred colt by Exceed And Excel from the Group 1 winner Episode and looked to have ability in a recent Flemington jumpout. Prepared gamble on him. 5. ENCRYPTION is also wonderfully bred, by former champion Lonhro from the G1 Thousand Guineas winner Guelph. From the powerful Godolphin yard and will be well schooled for this. 12. QALIFA beat last week’s winner Nomothaj in a trial at Wodonga last month and did it pretty easily. Sure to be in the firing line. Watch 2. BINDING FORCE to show up. Performed well in a recent Morphettville trial and from the very astute Stokes stable.
Prepared to give 8. LUQYAA the nod here. Loved the way she found the line late when third to Fox Swift at Flemington, clocking second best last 200m of the race. That was her first run back and she’s been kept fresh since then. Drawn terribly but there is only one bend to negotiate and she will settle back and run on. Worth the gamble. 3. JORDA has always shown a stack of promise. Probably got bit lost down the straight when eighth to Fox Swift a month ago. Great effort before that beaten just over length behind Pariah at Rosehill. Just needs to get a few favours from the inside draw to be right in finish here. 10. COUNTERPLAY was poleaxed at the 200m when 8th to Bandipur in a blanket finish here three weeks ago he was about to put himself into the finish. Previous Adelaide form first class and he’s a hope here. 15. DIVINE MESSENGER was never in danger winning easily down the straight at Flemington last month. Slight query at the 1200m but will give this a shake.
Hard to go past 1. LEGLESS VEUVE on the strength of a great effort resuming here three weeks ago. Settled back in the field and had a blocked passage in the straight before charging late for second Savanna Amour in G3 grade. Won 2 of 4 second up and likes this course and distance, with two wins and two seconds from five tries. Enough speed on to suit her she looks hard stop.
8. PEDRENA is a lightly-raced mare who has notched two wins from three first-up appearances. Beat the very smart Samovare at Flemington before a spell and will go close. 2. MISS GUNPOWDER has a great first-up record of three wins from five tries. First-up last campaign she won over this course and distance beating Boomwaa. Already a Listed winner G3 placegetter well suited here.
7. OVERSTEP is capable of sneaking into the money firstup.
Reckon 5. ALOFT can find the front here, dictate his own terms and be very hard to get past in the run home. From his barrier, suspect he’ll slide across to get to the vanguard past the post first time. Doesn’t look like there is anything else prepared to serve it up to him so he should get some cheap sectionals mid-race, ping off the home bend and prove too solid at the finish. Given a month off since his great third to Almandin Flemington. 8. GALLIC CHIEFTAIN caught the eye when finishing hard behind Jon Snow at Moonee Valley two weeks ago. Ready for the step up in distance and can test these. 1. WALL OF FIRE is an imported stayer with strong form lines around horse such as Trip To Paris and Polarisation, who we have seen in Australia race with effect. Can’t be left out. 3. FOUNDRY was impressive winning the G1 Metropolitan at Randwick and is at the peak of his game.
Sticking with 5. DUKE OF BRUNSWICK. Loves this track and distance where he has won twice landed three placings from seven tries. Held up a vital time in the straight before getting out and hitting the line hard behind Sircconi here three weeks ago. Clocked third best last 200m of the race without behind able to get up a full head of steam. Not concerned by the wider barrier here as it will allow him to settle midfield and avoid any trouble. Gets his chance. 8. ATTENTION faces his easiest assignment for some time and comes in on the limit weight. Sat on the speed, which was hot, entitled to weaken in the run home behind Santa Ana Lane in G1 class here a fortnight ago. Will make his own luck on speed again and this grade suits him. 10. OREGON’S DAY has to face the males this time but does seem to reserve her best for this course. Also well suited on the limit. Watch for 13. MONGOLIAN WOLF, who is unbeaten firstup, to be storming home late.
Have to stick with 2. ALIZEE. Simply superb in winning the G1 Flight Stakes at Randwick after she settled the tail of the field, eased to outside on straightening, gathered them in quickly and raced away for an effortless win. Drawn to get the run of the race off the speed here and will pounce in
straight to win well again.
1. SHOALS is the only danger in my book. Probably got a little too far back then she really wanted to last start and then reeled off the fastest last 200m of 11.6s when going down narrowly to Booker here two weeks ago. Will settled a bit closer this time in and looks the logical threat. 3. BOOKER is very honest will be in mix again. Watch for 7. MINTHA to be running on late. Great efforts at her last two, looks suited the 1600m and has come claims.
I’m going to give 1. HARTNELL another chance here. Just too far back last time in what developed as a sprint home but charged late and held his ground alongside Bonneval in the Underwood Stakes here. His last 400m was actually faster than Bonneval. Looking for the 2000m, drawn to be closer to speed in midfield this time and he’ll fully test these. Obviously 11. BONNEVAL is the danger. Just keeps winning and raising the car each time as well. Looked a little under pressure when pace went on at the 600m in the Underwood but once she got into her rhythm, she looked winner at the top of the straight and duly obliged. 6. JON SNOW found his best to sit on speed outgun a good field at Moonee Valley two weeks ago. Back to WFA here but in form. 10. THE TAJ MAHAL is the interesting runner. Has G1 form in the USA and Ireland at his last two starts.
I’m with 6. ROYAL SYMPHONY. Victim of circumstances when getting too far back in a muddling affair last start and asked to do much to make up a lot of ground. Still clocked the best last 600m and 400m of
race and second best last 200m. The addition of winkers will keep his mind on the job. This has been his grand final all along and he’ll take a lot of beating. The filly 16. CATCHY is the hardest to beat. She’s beaten colts before and reckon she’s primed for 1600m now after a game third to Booker last start. All class and will give these big scare. 11. KEMENTARI also finished his race off strongly behind Perast here a fortnight ago and also no doubts he’ll love the 1600m. 4. SIRCCONI will make his own luck on speed and expect him to be in the firing line.
I’ve been with 1. TOSEN STARDOM right through this campaign and I’m not about to drop off now. Superb effort in the Rupert Clarke here a fortnight ago when he came from near last, circled the field very wide on the turn and finished off strongly for a close sixth to Santa Ana Lane, running the second best last 200m of race. Reckon he’s been crying out for 1600m. Hasn’t drawn well but he’ll settle back and then unleash in the straight. 10. MR SNEAKY is in cracking form and ideally suited with just a half kilo over the limit. Just nabbed late by Santa Ana Lane in the Rupert Clarke. On trial at trip but I’ve got no doubts he’ll handle it and likes this track. Prepared to forgive the last-start run of
8. COMIN’ THROUGH in the Epsom at Randwick as he was trapped wide throughout and still fought on well. Drawn to get the gun run here. 9. EGG TART has been kept fresh since a first-up second to Deploy and will be charging home late.
9. SHEIDEL set a suicidal pace upfront and only collared late when third to She Will Reign in the G1 Moir Stakes at the Valley a fortnight ago. Returns to her favourite track where she has won three of five, one of those a fast-run Oakleigh Plate. Drawn awkwardly but only has to negotiate the one bend. Very keen on her chances here. 11. SUPER CASH is excellent firstup, having won three from four. First-up last campaign she won over this course and distance beating I Am A Star Chautauqua. Has reportedly worked well for her resumption and will go close. 5. ILLUSTRIOUS LAD is resuming but capable of sprinting well fresh and watch for 6. HELLBENT to improve.