Tosen to Star in Kennedy
Reckon 11. OCTABELLO is very promising and could end up being the best horse out of this race. Has this come around a little too soon for him? I’m hoping not. Had no luck when beaten only 2.6 lens behind Snitze pe g at Cauflield. Held up for a run over the last 200m but still produced
second fastest last sectional of race. Brilliant in winning over 1400m here previously. Gives every indication 1600m will be ideal, this track is certainly optimum for him and drawn to get all the favours in the run. Probably no argument that 7. LEVENDI should have finished closer in the Caulfield Guineas last star t. Got held up a couple of times straight. That’s Group 1 for m and the drop in g rade is perfect. Sure to go close. You can forgive run of 2. BEAU GESTE at Caulfield two weeks back. Trapped three-wide without cover for the most of the trip and still fought on well in the run home. Drawn better this time. Some query at the trip but has class.
9. HYPNOTIST tracked wide on the speed and then fought on bravely behind Astoria at Newcastle. That’s strong for m for this and can be in the finish with any luck from wide draw. 1 SNITZEPEG (very honest) and
4. DANGER DEAL (run better than it looks last star t) are other chances.
Sticking with the potential in the shape of 10. TEODORA.
Loved the way she found the line late ag ainst the bias of day when four th to Pinot at Caulfield. She tracked wide worse then midfield and had to sustain a long run to finish as close as she did. That was only her third race star t. She’s still lear ning what racing is all about but like the way she improving with every run. Reckon she’s worth gamble. Concede 1. BRING
ME THE ROSES is the one to beat. What’s not to like about her emphatic win here in the Edward Manifold. Given a month off before that and follows the same patter n here. Should be no issues with the 2000m. 5. HI
YAAM is drawn to get a gun run on speed, which has been her patter n the last two and she’s produced g reat efforts on both occasions. Will give it a shake. 2.
PURE SCOT was very unlucky behind Bring Me The Roses and then still found the line okay in the Thousand Guineas last star t. This g rade and distance will suit. 3. GLAM GURU (tough effor t after hard run last star t),
6. RIMRAAM (brave t) and 14. CABIERRO (looks talented) are other chances.
Tricky race. 6. NIETA just didn’t seem to quicken when required behind Fuhryk at Caulfield but that was her first try at the track and didn’t look entirely happy. Don’t forget she twice chased home Redzel before that. Gets the blinkers on to shar pen her, straight course should help and Bowman sticks. Can make amends. Frightened of 7. LAKE COMO. Has had five star ts here for three wins and is also unbeaten in first-up appearances. She’s adaptable in the run and also handles all track surfaces. Go close. 6.
LYUBA made g round against the patter n behind Fuhryk and she has won down the straight before. 1. SHEIDEL is class and will welcome this g rade but is she going as well as she was in the autumn? 10. CONCEALER
a roughie with a chance.
4. ALOFT has always struck me as a F lemington horse and has conditions to suit tomor row. Brilliant winning first-up here and then no disg race in chas- ing home Almandin. Had to use up a lot of petrol early and can forgive his run at Caulfield last star t. Don’t forget he was only beaten 2 lens by Big Duke at Randwick in the autumn. Can picture him getting the nice trail off the speed and being hard to stop in run home. 6. VEN
GEUR MASQUE is such a tough stayer. Sat on speed and simply too strong for his rivals in the Geelong Cup last week. He’s a big threat ag ain. 2. HARLEM has the quality. Cer tainly not disg raced behind Boom Time in
Caulfield Cup and another who will relish the big expanses of F lemington. 9. ALWARD has been very good in Sydney and will appreciate the drop in weight. Should be firing line.
Very tough race. I’m gambling on the class of 16. CATCHY getting her home. Her only star t down straight here she was superb in downing Jukebox and Booker. Took on the boys in the Caulfield Guineas was very game in finishing third to Mighty Boss, beating home Royal Symphony who was then excellent in the Cox Plate. She is coming back to 1200m but don’t think that’s going to trouble her. Like the fact she’s drawn out as she could end up on the g randstand side of the track which I’m hoping will be favoured side. Stick with her. Reckon 8. MER
CHANT NAVY is over the odds. His win over Booker and Muraahib at Caulfield was first rate when resuming then things didn’t go his way in the Golden Rose. Given a freshen up and I reckon that’s the he races best. I’m fan of 5. VIRIDINE. who has done everything right in Sydney. Simply too good for Single Bullet and Beau Geste last time at Randwick has been freshened since. 18. FORMAL
ITY is such a trier. She’ll sit on speed and be hard to run down. In g reat for m. 1. TRAPEZE
ARTIST (Group 1 winner), 2.
KEMENTARI (very smar t) and 17. TULIP (good run in the Everest) rate highly too.
I like the way 5. SILENT SEDI
TION sets up for this. Finally draws a decent bar rier which will allow her to settle just off the speed. That’s the patter n she adopted when a fighting fourth to Foxplay in G1 Queen Of The Turf at Randwick in the autumn. Meets that horse 2.5kg better for being beaten just on a length. Was very brave after racing wide throughout behind Global Glamour at Caulfield last star t. At her top for this and will go close. 16. SHOALS is the obvious danger. Super effor t to beat all but Aloisia in the Thousand Guineas and drops to a postage stamp weight ag ainst the older mares. Big threat. 3.
FOXPLAY will be better suited then last time at Caulfield where she seemed a bit out of sor ts.
11. FRENCH EMOTION was second in this race last year and is also right at her top now. Could sur prise. 2. GLOBAL
GLAMOUR (in for m and well
drawn), 8. DIXIE BLOSSOMS
(has raced well here in the past) and 14. NOW OR LATER (no luck last star t) are hopes a tough race.
I’m banking on the Spring Champion Stakes being the right staying for m line and going for
2. TANGLED to reverse that result. Loved the way he ke pt coming to line behind Ace High and only just pipped on the post. Ag ain fought on well a leaders track at Caulfield behind Cliff’s Edge and worked very well at F lemington on Tuesday. Will need a touch of luck from his widish draw but he looks an out and out stayer who will test these. 1. ACE HIGH is the genuine danger. Will ag ain be on speed from his good bar rier and is very hard to get past when allowed to travel at his own steam.
5. MAIN STAGE will welcome a retur n F lemington. He was outstanding winning two star ts back and then fought on at Caulfield last star t when conditions didn’t suit him. 7. WEATHER
WITH YOU will find this harder than his Geelong Classic win last week but he’s another who looks to be a true stayer and he’ll be in the finish. 6. SULLY (better Melbour ne?) the improving
12. GREYCLIFFE are others chances.
When in doubt, go for the class and I’ve got no doubts 1. TOSEN
STARDOM is the best horse in the race. Simply outstanding perfor mance to win the Toorak last time when he charged home from well back. The bigger F lemington track is even more to his liking. His only star t here he was second to Palentino in the Blamey over this trip. Reckon he’s the best bet of the day. 10.
SOVEREIGN NATION has gone to another level and ran on strongly behind Tosen Stardom last time. Will threaten ag ain.
9. SHILLELAGH was very good charging home for third to Global Glamour at Caulfield when having to come very wide on the tur n and ag ainst he patter n of day. Up the males this time but drops 4.5kg.
6. EGG TART is better than her Toorak run suggests and reckon she’ll love F lemington. 4.
MCCREERY (races well here)
and 5. TOM MELBOURNE
(very consistent) the other main hopes.
Prepared to gamble on 15. MAN
FROM UNCLE. Very talented Sydneysider resuming here but he’s two from two first-up. Won in G3 g rade when last campaign and then downed Echo Effect Comin’ Through at Rosehill. Big run when charging home behind Souche z and Inside Agent here this time last year. He’ll test these. 1. ILLUSTRI
OUS LAD won race year and was only just pipped by Super Cash at Caulfield last star t. Right his top now. 2.
KEEN ARRAY is also in g reat form and goes well down the straight. 9. RAVI was good making up late g round behind Savanna Amour last start and has been given a freshen up since. Bound to run well.