It’s Long’s Time to shine
Predictions of heavy rain today and tomorrow could change track conditions markedly. I’m working on a track that could be in the Soft 4-5 range but its guesswork at the moment. 5.
LOGAN RIVER is a nicely bred type by all-conquering sire Snitzel and loved the way he extended over final stages to win his Cranbourne trial in pretty quick time. Looked to have a lot up his sleeve as well.
2. CORONEL started favourite on debut behind Qafila at Caulfield last month on the back of some smart jumpouts. He didn’t begin the best and got strung up behind horses approaching the bend before having to swing very wide and losing momentum on turn. Since trialled well at Cranbourne has to be given another chance. 6. SANCTIMONIOUS won his trial at Cranbourne in effortless fashion too but time was slightly slower than Logan River produced on the same day. Still, he looks smart. 7. SEBERATE found the line with gusto in a trial at Benalla and is also nicely bred.
5. HOLY FREEZE turned in a remarkable performance when a fast-closing third to Echo Jet on the Lakeside circuit 10 days ago. He didn’t get clear galloping room until closer to the 300m mark and then, when he saw daylight, he unleashed an amazing sprint, clocking a slick 11.07s for his last 200m. Not many horses of his grade can produce such quick closing sectionals. He meets Echo Jet 2.5kg better on that run, extra 100m is absolutely ideal and he is already a heavy track winner, so it won’t bother him if it is wet. The one to beat.
1. ECHO JET had the momentum to be able to overcome Prevailing Winds and Holy Freeze last start. He’s a promising type who will settle in midfield and then charge late. 3. MEMORY
BANK was only beaten 3 lens by G1 performer Tulip on debut and has looked good winning only two starts from a spell. Beat Black And Tan two runs back and that horse was impressive here on Wednesday. 6. KASI
FARASI at big odds but there was no fluke about the way he won at Pakenham on debut. Clocked best last 800m, 600m, 400m and 200m of the race. Will be prominent again.
Hard to go past 1. MRS GARDENIA. Did have the lovely run behind the leaders, got split at right time and dashed clear only to be run down late by Long Time Ago in G3 grade here a fortnight ago. Back to Bm84 grade in this, after the claim she has only 3kg over limit, will get the run of race again and
been placed in soft going. Looks one to beat. 3. TOFFEE NOSE resumed as favourite at Bendigo last start and never really got into the race behind Sword Of Justice. Better suited stepping up to mile, will be fitter and small field helps.
2. MILES OF KRISHAN was beaten less than a length behind Amelie’s Star in G2 grade in Adelaide back May. A little disappointing at Flemington on Cup Day but has been freshened for this. 5. LA FLEURETTE has been placed over this course and distance and sound effort in the Donald Cup last start.
Going to stick with 1. STORM
HARBOUR in a tricky race. Had a little difficulty finding clear galloping at the top of the straight but once in daylight, he knuckled down really well to win running away. Clocked best last 800m, 600m, 400m and last 200m of 11.41s to win with something in hand. Still not badly treated at the weights only 3kg over
limit after the claim. Drawn to get nice run again and will take beating. 6. VINLAND drops back from contesting the Sandown Guineas two weeks ago. Looked some chance at the 200m mark but was then overrun late. Easy winner at Bendigo before that and the third horse that day has since come out and won. No fluke about debut win of
5. ATONE at Mornington. Put a gap on them in the last little bit in what was an impressive display. Can only be better for the run. 4. JUSTICE GLORY is also down in grade and will be running on. Wouldn’t surprised to see 9. GRAND CASINO run a race either. His last start effort at $101 behind All Too Huiying
Flemington was better than it looks on paper.
Toughest race all day. Prepared to gamble on the ability of 13. SILENT GENERAL. There was a lot like about way he bolted in maiden class at Echuca two weeks ago. Trapped wide without cover from the 800m mark but then rallied in straight to gather in his rivals with ease and win running away. Clocked fastest last 800m, 600m and 400m of the race. Drawn well here and, although up in class, will give you a great sight. 11. TELL THE
TRUTH was only just beaten by Gauteng Gal at Sale last start after being slowly away. All the better for the first run from a break. Has some form around likes of Toffee Nose and Tiamo Grace. Can threaten here. 16.
URBAN ROYAL resumed and charged home late to win on the line at Seymour. Clocked fast sectionals, including last 200m of 11.94s which was a second faster than the other 1300m race on the same day. Should go well. 1. IZENASHARK is racing well and helped with the claim here.
Hard to tip against 8. SPRIGHTLY LASS who has been in dazzling form. Unbeaten three starts, including a sizzling all the way win at Moonee Valley last time when she gave nothing else a chance. Drops 4.5kg here in this harder grade but drawn perfectly to use her gate speed. Will be front and take a power of running down. 6. MISS WONDERLAND is resuming but had solid form when last in work, including a close third to Spright and Super Too at Flemington. Has trialled well and will be running on strongly. 1. DANCE WITH
FONTEIN is at her best at this trip and suited after the claim. Far from disgraced behind Crystal Dreamer here in Listed class last start. 2. CHIAVARI has yet to miss a place three starts at this course and distance and will welcome return to this grade.
5. LADY ESPRIT is at her top now and had conditions made to order. All five of her wins have been at this trip and she’s notched two wins a second from three tries at the track and trip. Found the line strongly when chasing home Crystal Dreamer in stakes grade here last start. She also handles soft ground well. The one to beat. 2.
GUN CASE meets Lady Esprit slightly better at the weights after his fighting third to Crystal Dreamer. Also a 1000m specialist who invariably races well here.
1. JUNGLE EDGE is the class runner and right back to his best winning in G3 grade here a fortnight ago. If the rain does come, he’ll be finish despite dropping in distance. 4. ROCK ‘N’
GOLD is honest and will figure the finish.
Loved the way 3. LONG TIME
AGO resumed with such a dynamic win here a fortnight ago. Well back in the ruck on the turn and spotted leaders a sizeable break half way down straight but hit the line hard to win running away. Does shoot up in weight will welcome the extra distance and drawn nicely. Yet to win second-up but don’t let that worry you. 1. COLDSTONE is also drawn well and suited with the claim. Fought on nicely behind Fastnet Tempest at Flemington three weeks ago and this grade suits. 9. NIGHT’S
WATCH charged home late to beat all but Another Coldie at Flemington on Oaks day. Drops a lot in weight and sure to be running on well again. 7. PORTION
CONTROL is down in grade and can improve sharply.
Hard race with a host of chances. Settled on 6. MILWAUKEE, who is a promising type. Did all the work pace and still too strong for Divine Quality at Sale, also beating subsequent winners Star Fortune and Taddei Tondo, and then again led and fought on well behind Dollar For Dollar at Flemington on Cup Day. Given a freshen up and will make his own luck near the speed. 11. ANCIENT HISTORY interests me. Former English galloper who was gelded before a strong second to Star Fortune at Cranbourne. He’ll be even fitter now and rates strongly despite his bad draw. 9. DATA POINT has conditions to suit. Drawn perfectly and he does act well on soft ground. Has won twice and second twice from four first-up tries. 13. MOONLOVER was only just nutted at the Valley last start after a strong win at Mornington. Can threaten from the nice barrier.
Long Time Ago.