Ruler will measure up
There was a lot to like about the easy last-start win of 8. BOOM
CHICKA BOOM. Started a long odds-on favourite, quickly got to the front, skipped clear on
turn and won eased down by over 5 lengths. Time wasn’t overly flash but he had a lot left in the tank. Only just jutted by Flash Cash on debut. Will be making his own luck on pace and looks highly promising. The one to beat. Watch for 13. MISS
LEONIDAS to run a big race. Awesome debut performance at Echuca when was very green, went very wide on the turn and still way too good in run home, clocking a smart last 200m of 11.54s. Has since clocked smart time in trial at Cranbourne. Has plenty of ability. 7.
BEL SONIC is resuming but is talented. Great effort on debut when a close third to Merchant Navy here and then won at Geelong before chasing home well at Sandown. Given easy time in a recent trial. 6. THE
LAUNCHER was impressive on debut at Moe and should be even better here.
Going to stick with 3. STORMSAREBREWING. Looks to have found the right race to return winning form. Fought on well behind Tahanee at Flemington on Cup day. Flemington winner in this class back in May. Drawn to get the nice run off speed and will be charging home. 6.
WHYOUASK turned in a nice effort at big odds when 5th to Long Time Ago in G3 grade at Sandown. Got a long way back, had a checkered passage in the straight and then made good ground when clear. At top now after two runs from a break. 2.
RED IS THE ROSE was far too good in this grade at Moonee Valley before finishing down the course behind Long Time Ago at Sandown. Was attacked for lead the whole way which may have contributed to her failure. This class suits and will be on pace. 5. SOHO RUBY resumed with a tidy effort in this grad at Ballarat when making up good ground. Extra 200m to her advantage and is a second-up winner.
3. CRAFTY DEVIL has won three of her last five and will take tossing again here. Found the line with gusto from well back on the turn to win at Moonee Valley in this grad and then battled on well behind Sonntag in the Ararat Cup. Given a freshen up since. Go close.
6. GET THE PICTURE caught the eye with a fast finishing third to Brilliant Jet at Mooned Valley before going to Adelaide and winning comfortably in a Benchmark 82 race. Drawn little awkwardly but settle back the field and run on late. Watch for 8. PARTHESIA to run a race. Was just beaten as favourite in the VRC St Leger in April before a second in G3 grade at Morphettville. All the better for two runs from a spell and could surprise. 7. FONTEIN LAD was placed at the Valley before losing a plate and still finishing second Cranbourne. Contested the Qld Derby in June.
Looking forward to seeing the return of 9. WISE HERO.
Looks a pretty smart speedster. Had excuses when failing at Caulfield before a spell. Resumed prior to that and did the job nicely in holding on to win at Caulfield, beating a strong field which included Widgee Turf, who was impressive winning last week. Will sit on pace and take running down.
3. INVINCIBLE AL looked good in rounding up his rivals to win with authority at Moonee Valley last start. Three of his four wins have been this trip. Won only start at this course and distance but meets Wise Hero 3.5kg worse. 1. LEODORO is worth considering. Has won three of four first-up tries has won only start at this course and distance. Caulfield winner in stronger grade before a spell. 2. LABUAN STAR has been freshened and did beat the smart Rock ‘n’ Gold at Mornington three starts back.
If the track stays in the current soft 6 range, then it’s impossible to go past 1. JUNGLE EDGE.
Just has the edge in these in quality and can handle the big weight as he did when winning in the heavy ground at Sandown last week. Also drawn to get to
front comfortably and the extra 200m to suit him even more. 8. PROUD WOLF is a soft track specialist who charged home late to just family at Ballarat last start. Comes in with a light weight after the claim and will threaten. If track improves, 3. SIRBIBLE has to be considered. All the better for his first-up 5th to Gun Case at the Valley. Don’t forget he was good enough finish third to Malaguerra in the Australia Stakes. 2. CHAMOIS ROAD doesn’t mind wet conditions and will be running on.
Looks a nice race for 11. SILVERA. Flemington winner in September and then tried hard behind Odeon at Caulfield. Ran on well late when a close fourth to Tribal Wisdom Flemington
Oaks day. Holding his form well, nicely weighted and has won three of four on soft tracks. Go close. 3. JACQUINOT BAY may be 10 but retains his zest for racing. On speed throughout and fought on well when third to Payroll at Sandown three weeks ago. Well suited by the sting out of the ground and will take catching. 8. ANOTHER
COLDIE has earned a crack at this grade after impressive wins at his last two. Beat subsequent winner Night’s Watch two runs back at Flemington. Big chance.
9. CARRAIG AONAIR led most of the way and only run down last 100m by Mr Garcia at Flemington last start. Must be included.
3. ONCIDIUM RULER has returned to racing in great order. Big effort win at Flemington before fighting on gamely in the heavy ground all but Grand Dreamer in the Ballarat Cup. Handles all track conditions and right at his top now. 2. GREY
LION is a model of consistency and tried hard in the Ballarat Cup. Just failed to run down avenger Masque Queen Elizabeth at Flemington before that. Soft tack conditions suit. 1.
DE LITTLE ENGINE made up good ground in the Ballarat Cup without seriously threatening but he is now at peak fitness and always a chance in this sort of grade. 9. GOODWOOD ZODIAC comes down from Sydney with sound form and will be on speed throughout.
Tough race. 3. GRANDE
ROSSO is a winner over this course and distance and recent city efforts have been solid. Not far away behind Ulmann at Caulfield and then battle on
Flemington Hellova Street. Freshened up for this and does love the 1400m trip. Drawn to get run of the race. 1. BURNING FRONT is the class runner but, even after
claim, has a big weight and a wide draw to contend with. Still he’s better than these when at his best and has a win and two pleadings from three tries this course distance. 12.
DUSTY JACK won’t want it too wet as evidenced by his failure at Ballarat two weeks ago. Did run a close fourth to Quilista and Theanswermyfriend in soft ground at Caulfield in October.
7. WILLI WILLI is resuming but has shown promise. Big winner at Flemington beating Urban Ruler before a spell. Should be prominent.
Bit of value here in 12. FLORIDA KEYS. Liked the way she fought on behind I’m A Princess at Sandown last start in a glimpse of her best form. She showed some promise February when a close fourth to Kenedna in G3 grade at Flemington and also seventh I Am A Star the Kewney Stakes. If she can return to that sort of form, will give this a shake.
1. IMPERATOR AUGUSTUS
will welcome the sting out of the ground. Pay to overlook his last start failure at Morphettville. Beat home subsequent winner Tribal Wisdom Caulfield three starts back. 8. SIGA LA VACA is going well enough to threaten here and 5. MR CHURCHILL will appreciate this grade and is ready to improve.