The Sunday Mail (Queensland)
BEWAREOFTHEHIDDEN FLAWINY OURWALLS
THERE are no second chances when it comes to asbestos exposure.
With one in three Australian homes containing asbestos, home renovators are increasingly risking exposure to the deadly mineral when remodelling their homes.
Asbestos Education Committee chair Peter Dunphy warned DIY renovators there is no safe level of exposure to asbestos.
“People are keen to renovate and it’s only after they disturb an area they realise there is asbestos,” Mr Dunphy said. “Many homeowners, renovators, tradies and handymen are putting their health and the health of families at risk when doing home renovations.”
The asbestos lying dormant in Chris Appleton’s Brighton home was not exposed until his six-yearold daughter Marley knocked the wall with her rocking horse.
Living in a home built in the 1980s, the landscaper wasn’t taking any chances with his family and asbestos exposure – having the area of the home tested straight away.
“As a tradesman, I knew there was asbestos in the home because it was built in that period of the 1980s,” Mr Appleton said.
Asbestos was detected and replaced by certified removers.
“People should get their properties tested, there is no way I would smash through walls with children around without knowing what’s in there,” Mr Appleton said, “And at the end of the day I can sell my property knowing it’s asbestos free.”