IOC con­fi­dent Win­ter Games will go on

The Sunday Mail (Queensland) - - NEWS -

THE pres­i­dent of the In­ter­na­tional Olympic Com­mit­tee re­mains con­fi­dent the Win­ter Games will go on as sched­uled in South Korea de­spite grow­ing tensions on the penin­sula, in­clud­ing North Korea’s bal­lis­tic mis­sile test last week.

At the close of this week’s IOC meet­ings, Thomas Bach said the com­mit­tee would con­tinue to ap­peal for diplo­matic so­lu­tions to the prob­lems, and that it was mon­i­tor­ing de­lib­er­a­tions in the UN Se­cu­rity Coun­cil, which on Fri­day con­demned the lat­est North Korean test.

North Korea’s IOC mem­ber, Ung Chang, said he hopes the Olympics will go on as planned.

When asked if South Korea would be safe for the Olympics, he re­sponded: “No­body knows.”

Bach will visit the UN next week, but will be work­ing on the tra­di­tional Olympic truce dec­la­ra­tion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.