BEAUTY AND THE BEAST UGLY FACE OF PLASTIC SURGERY REVEALED
A WOMAN has been left with a “horn” on her forehead and another had her face eaten by bacteria in the latest bungles in the booming cosmetic industry.
New Macquarie University research has linked cosmetic filler procedures to serious and chronic infections that take years to control and leave victims disfigured.
One victim now requires surgery in which her face will be cut from ear to ear and her forehead peeled back to remove filler that has left her with a misshapen face.
Another has been on antibiotics for more than a year and endured four operations, costing $25,000, to drain infections and rebuild her face.
Doctors are warning that poor procedures can lead to chronic infection, cell death, blindness, a loss of sensation, and the inability to smile or clean teeth.
Jean Huang, 35, died in Sydney last month during a procedure to inject fillers into her breasts.
Macquarie University plastic surgeon Professor Anand Deva, whose research has linked cosmetic fillers to seri- ous bacterial infection, accuses the industry of pursuing profits at the expense of patient safety.
He wants an electronic patient register to keep track of the fillers used and the doctors who carry out the procedures.
“We are facing a perfect storm in the cosmetic industry where demand is insatiable, driven by social media and celebrities, and it is being met by completely unregulated providers,” he said.
“We can ride the wave, the boom and make money and drive fancy cars or we can say this is still medicine and the health of people is at stake.”
Australians are now spending over $1 billion a year on cosmetic procedures.
One of the biggest cosmetic chains, Laser Clinics, said it performed more than 2.7 million beauty treatments and treated 220,000 new clients in 2017. The business was sold recently for more than $650 million.
Professor Deva’s research tested the cosmetic fillers hyaluronic acid, polyacrylamide and poly-l-lactic acid and found they all supported bacterial growth.
Multiple needle passes or fanning of the needle during the procedure increased the risk of infection, he found.
TRAGEDY: Jean Huang, 35 (above), died in Sydney last month during a procedure to inject fillers into her breasts.