Road laws ‘garbage’
BRISBANE man Victor Bossley, 28, had planned to propose to the love of his life Sarah Walker in Fiji in July.
But in April, that dream was shattered when Sarah, 30, and her brother Daniel, 22, were killed while driving to Bundaberg.
Sarah’s son Sam, 14, and their friend Peter Knowles, 25, survived but suffered serious injuries.
Mr Bossley has spoken for the first time about the tragedy and the subsequent court case, slamming the legal system as “disgusting”.
The driver of the other car, veteran Fraser Coast solicitor Donald Gayler, 66, was charged over the crash.
A momentary lapse of attention caused Mr Gayler to drift to the wrong side of the road where his vehicle ploughed into Ms Walker’s car.
Because none of Mr Gayler’s actions were considered factors in the crash, he was charged with driving without due care and attention.
According to the law, he is not criminally responsible for the deaths.
Mr Gayler pleaded guilty and was disqualified from driving for three months and fined $3000.
“All he got was a licence suspension. The system is disgusting. It’s not right,” Mr Bossley told The Sunday Mail.
Months earlier, when told by police that the crash had killed two people, Mr Gayler had remarked that there was “not much he could do about that”.
Now Mr Bossley wants to do something about it.
Last week he and members of the Walker family met Main Roads Minister Steven Miles and Police Minister Mark Ryan, with a view to creating a new charge that would see offenders given a harsher punishment if they drove without due care or attention and caused death.
Current law in Queensland means offenders can escape prison time when their crash causes death if the state is unable to prove they acted recklessly or illegally.
Mr Bossley said his meetings with the ministers went well and they listened to his concerns.
But he said change would not come without months or years of campaigning for reform.
“I can’t complain about Donald Gayler as much as I want to,” Mr Bossley said.
“He’s been charged as much as he could’ve been charged under the current Queensland laws and the current Queensland law is absolute garbage.
“Other families hopefully don’t have to go through the same heartbreak that we went through,” he said.
Mr Bossley has already heard from others who have endured, or who are currently enduring, the same struggle he encountered.