Tu­mour op, then burns to but­tocks

The Sunday Mail (Queensland) - - NEWS - KAY DIBBEN

SANDRINE Smith went into Lo­gan Hos­pi­tal south of Bris­bane for cer­vi­cal surgery to re­move a tu­mour but ended up with burnt but­tocks that have caused her pain for three years.

The 46-year-old is now su­ing over her 2014 in­juries, which her claim al­leges were likely caused by ig­ni­tion of prepa­ra­tion liq­uid or an illdirected diathermy loop pro­ce­dure.

Her Supreme Court claim, filed by Lit­tles Lawyers, says she had par­tial thick­ness burns to her but­tocks and an elec­tri­cal in­jury to the sacral seg­ments at the bot­tom of her spine.

Mrs Smith (pic­tured) says she still can’t sit, work or drive, spends most days ly­ing on her hip on a mat­tress in her lounge room, and uses a wheel­iewalker to get around.

She and hus­band Michael set up a busi­ness in 2009 of­fer- ing fur­ni­ture re­moval for cor­po­rate clients, with Mrs Smith run­ning the of­fice.

“Un­for­tu­nately, on the 25th of Septem­ber, 2014, our lives changed dras­ti­cally,’’ she said.

She said she was told the “rou­tine’’ cer­vi­cal surgery, us­ing a thin wire loop heated by an elec­tri­cal cur­rent, would take half an hour and she would be able to re­turn to work within two days.

Mrs Smith, who also has com­plained to the Health Om­buds­man, said she woke from the pro­ce­dure two hours later feel­ing “in­tense burn­ing, in­ter­nally and ex­ter­nally’’.

She said the pain in her but­tocks be­came more se­vere af­ter she went home. She then re­turned to the hos­pi­tal af­ter she felt wet­ness in the but­tocks area and chunks of skin fell off when she pulled up cloth­ing. She said a hos­pi­tal spe­cial­ist told her it was prob­a­bly a fric­tion burn from sheets be­ing ripped out from un­der her – an ex­pla­na­tion Mrs Smith and other doc­tors re­ject. Lit­tles Lawyers part­ner Su­gath Wi­je­doru said it was dis­ap­point­ing that the spe­cial­ist’s re­port was not in Mrs Smith’s hos­pi­tal file, ob­tained un­der Right to In­for­ma­tion laws. Mr Wi­je­doru said other doc­tors Mrs Smith saw said the burns were more likely caused by an in­ad­ver­tent sur­gi­cal fire re­lated to a flammable prepa­ra­tion liq­uid be­ing used. Lo­gan Hos­pi­tal says it is work­ing with the Of­fice of the Health Om­buds­man to re­solve a com­plaint of in­jury dur­ing a pro­ce­dure in 2014. It could not com­ment on the le­gal claim.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.