New life for old hospital
MARRICKVILLE Hospital was once a school for nurses, where trainees were squeezed into nine bedrooms.
Now the 1909-built nurses’ quarters will be sold as two whole-floor $2 million units.
The federation-era building had nine bedrooms and a big kitchen but the restored apartments will have just three bedrooms when complete in 2019. The new residents will still get the pressed metal ceilings and timber floors but have luxurious kitchens and bathrooms.
The hospital treated more than 7000 patients a year at its peak in 1935 but the nurses’ training centre shut in 1978 and the hospital closed in 1991.
The nurses’ quarters, Lilydale House, is part of the Marrick & Co development, which incorporates two new nine and 10-storey buildings and a new library and park. The second stage of the project will be launched next weekend.
There is a first-home buyer deal on the one-bedroom units, from $695,000, with Mirvac allowing a 5 per cent deposit now and pay the other 5 per cent over a year.