Cops get Par­sons Green bomber

The Sunday Telegraph (Sydney) - - WORLD -

BRI­TISH po­lice have ar­rested an 18-year-old man over the Par­sons Green tube sta­tion bomb that in­jured 29 peo­ple.

Kent Po­lice ar­rested the man in the port of Dover, fol­low­ing a na­tion­wide man­hunt to find the per­son re­spon­si­ble for the ter­ror­ist at­tack.

A state­ment re­leased by the Metropoli­tan Po­lice said the man was be­ing held in cus­tody at a lo­cal po­lice sta­tion and will be trans­ferred to a south Lon­don po­lice sta­tion un­der the Ter­ror­ism Act.

Se­nior Na­tional Co­or­di­na­tor for Counter Ter­ror­ism, Deputy As­sis­tant Com­mis­sioner Neil Basu said the ar­rest was a sig­nif­i­cant step for­ward in the in­ves­ti­ga­tion.

“This ar­rest will lead to more ac­tiv­ity from our of­fi­cers,” Mr Basu said. “For strong in­ves­tiga­tive rea­sons we will not give any more de­tails on the man we ar­rested.”

He urged the pub­lic to re­main vig­i­lant while po­lice con­tinue to work through the com­plex in­ves­ti­ga­tion. “We are not, at this time, chang­ing our pro­tec­tive se­cu­rity mea­sures and the steps taken to free up ex­tra armed of­fi­cers re­main in place,” he said.

Se­cu­rity Min­is­ter Ben Wal­lace said au­thor­i­ties have spent the morn­ing con­tact­ing homes, busi­nesses and sport­ing clubs as well as “re­view­ing se­cu­rity around trans­port net­works” in their at­tempts to lo­cate sus­pects.

Po­lice have in­ter­viewed 45 wit­nesses and have re­ceived 77 images and videos from mem- bers of the pub­lic who were at the scene of the at­tack.

Prime Min­is­ter Theresa May an­nounced the coun­try’s se­cu­rity level had been raised to “crit­i­cal” af­ter the im­pro­vised ex­plo­sive de­vice det­o­nated on a train at Par­sons Green in south­west Lon­don.

The height­ened warn­ing came as Is­lamic State claimed re­spon­si­bil­ity for the at­tack and is­sued threats that the bomber was part of a larger ji­hadist cell.

Mrs May urged the pub­lic to re­main calm but to be alert to the threat of an­other at­tack.

“The pub­lic should go about their busi­ness in the nor­mal way but be vig­i­lant and co-op­er­ate with po­lice,” she said.

As part of the tighter se­cu­rity mea­sures, po­lice will search mem­bers of the pub­lic and cars will be stopped at road blocks.

The crude home­made bomb left on the crowded Lon­don un­der­ground is re­ported to have con­tained nails and to be sim­i­lar to de­vices used in the Manch­ester Arena at­tack and 2005 Lon­don bomb­ings.

Flammable ma­te­rial packed in a white bucket along with fairy lights failed to prop­erly ig­nite when it det­o­nated about 8.20am, caus­ing what wit­nesses de­scribed as a “fireball”.

Some re­ports sug­gested the de­vice used the home­made ex­plo­sive TATP, known as “Mother of Satan”. The ex­plo­sive has been used in a num­ber of at­tacks in Europe.

The de­vice con­tained a timer so that it could be re­mote-con­trolled but se­cu­rity ex­perts sug­gested the bun­gled ex­plo­sion could have hap­pened ear­lier than planned.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.