Same old storey in high rise

The Sunday Telegraph (Sydney) - - NEWS -

AUS­TRALIA’S rich­est de­vel­oper Harry Triguboff has started a fight with a Syd­ney coun­cil over a con­tro­ver­sial de­vel­op­ment — and then launched an at­tack on the state govern­ment for good mea­sure.

The Meri­ton founder and manag­ing direc­tor plans to build 27, 30, 45 and 60 storey tow­ers on what is an of­fice block at Mac­quarie Park.

This week his com­pany put up a large sign spruik­ing: “Lux­ury apart­ments com­ing soon.”

Prob­lem is, Meri­ton doesn’t have ap­proval to build yet.

Ryde La­bor mayor Jerome Laxale de­scribed it as “cheeky” but Ryde Lib­eral coun­cil­lor Jor­dan Lane said the sign shows the de­vel­oper is tak­ing the com­mu­nity for granted.

Mr Triguboff, who is worth more than $9 bil­lion, then ac­cused the state govern­ment of back­flip­ping on its sup­port for de­vel­op­ment and at­tacked Ryde MP Vic­tor Dominello.

“A few months ago the Lib­eral Party, aside from Vic­tor Dominello, were in favour of de­vel­op­ment but now it seems they have changed their minds,” Mr Triguboff said.

Premier Gla­dys Bere­jik­lian, who has re­cently been vo­cal about the need to re­duce mi­gra­tion un­til in­fra­struc­ture can catch up, de­clined to com­ment.

Mr Dominello said: “This de­vel­op­ment should have been re­jected by coun­cil last year. I will fight for my com­mu­nity in op­pos­ing it.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.