Terror cops have teen in custody
POLICE have arrested an 18year-old in relation to Friday’s terror attack on the London Underground.
The teen was detained at the port of Dover early yesterday UK time and quizzed at a Dover police station.
The UK’s senior national co-ordinator for counter-terrorism, Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, described the arrest as “significant”.
“Although we are pleased with the progress made, this investigation continues and the threat level remains at critical,” he said.
“We are not, at this time, changing our protective security measures and the steps taken to free up extra armed officers remain in place.”
Police last night revealed 45 witnesses to the attack had come forward and they were working through 77 videos and images sent to officers.
The arrest came as an Australian woman described the moment a morning commute into London turned into a nightmare when a powerful time-bomb partially detonated on the Underground, injuring 29 people.
The blast sent what witnesses described as a fireball through the packed train during the morning rush hour.
The device had been put in a bucket and concealed in a shopping bag, which was packed with shrapnel and fitted with a crude timer.
It failed to detonate, meaning potentially hundreds of lives were spared. Police think the bomb may have accidentally detonated prematurely, with Westminster station the intended target.
Lucy Steadman, 24, from Brisbane, and her partner, Fabian, 29, catch the train through Parsons Green to work each day.
The couple had been chatting about their plans for Friday evening and what they would get up to on the weekend when their train pulled into Parsons Green.
“We were standing close to the doors of the tube and then I heard some horrible screaming and saw people sprinting down the platform towards the exit,” she said.
“The station only has one staircase out, so people were rushing for that. I panicked and ran for that, too. Fabian was just behind me but we got separated.”
Ms Steadman searched for her partner, but the stampede of commuters had pushed her further away from him.
“At that point, I didn’t know what had happened yet and I thought it might be someone with a gun or a knife, so I wasn’t sure if the threat was still there or not,” she said.
“I just had to focus on staying upright because I could see people in front of me falling and getting trampled on.”
After the attack, US President Donald Trump seemed to accuse the police of errors, tweeting: “These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard”.
Counter-terrorism sources denied they had been aware of the suspect.
Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said it was “very routine” for IS to claim the attack “whether or not they’ve had any previous engagement with the individuals involved”.
Helping hand: A woman injured in the attack is offered comfort outside Parsons Green tube station. Picture: Reuters Inset: Brisbane woman Lucy Steadman.