Ain’t it grand
An edwArdiAn mAnsion relives its glory dAys victoriA Napier Street, White Hills
It took a good proportion of Bendigo’s skilled tradespeople to restore Langley Hall in 2010 after it was bought by Anthony and Jenny Gurry. A building of historical significance in the central Victorian city, it had seen better days, requiring 23 different tradies working tirelessly for six months to bring it back to life.
The Melbourne couple knew the stakes were high: the Edwardian mansion had been designed by John Beebe and William Charles Vahland – the latter a gold prospector who would become the pre-eminent architect across the Goldfields – and built in 1903 for the first Anglican Bishop of Bendigo, Henry Langley, as part of an estate that included a brick manor and timber chapel. In the decades that followed, the property in suburban White Hills was used as a rest home for returned servicemen, a theological training college, a home for young single mothers and a reception centre.
The Gurrys, who’d moved back to Bendigo to spend more time with family, “instantly fell in love with Langley” despite knowing the work required. “A lot of infrastructure was upgraded such as the plumbing, water, wiring and verandas, and there was extensive cosmetic work