AN OPEN AND SHUT CASE
October 4, 1935: Luna Park opens in Sydney on the site used for the construction of the Harbour Bridge. 1936: Admission charge is removed. 1969: An application to develop the site as a trade centre is refused. 1972: The park opens for year-round operation. (Previously it closed for three months in the winter.) June 9, 1979: A fire on the ghost train claims the lives of one adult and six children. The park is closed. 1981: Many of the original amusements and artworks are auctioned. 1982: Park reopens. Application to redevelop the site with high-rise towers refused. 1988: Park closes. 1990: The NSW government passes the Luna Park Site Act making the site crown land dedicated for public recreation, amusement and entertainment. January 1995: Park reopens. 1996: Park closes following Big Dipper restrictions. 1997: The precinct of Luna Park and its associated heritage items are classified and placed on the Register of the National Estate. April 4, 2004: Park reopens.