‘Heroic’ garbage truck grandma iden­ti­fied

The Weekend Australian - - THE NATION - SAM BUCK­ING­HAM-JONES

The grand­mother killed af­ter push­ing her grand­son’s pram out of the way of a garbage truck on Syd­ney’s north­ern beaches has been iden­ti­fied as “beloved mother” Hane Mathieson.

Ms Mathieson, 58, was walk­ing along Moo­rilla Street at Dee Why at 11.45am on Thurs­day when, it is be­lieved, the truck re­versed up the nar­row, one-way street and crushed her. De­spite emer­gency ser­vices ar­riv­ing quickly, po­lice said she was “too badly in­jured” and died at the scene. Her 18-month-old grand­son was un­in­jured.

The fam­ily of Ms Mathieson, a mother of three and grand­mother of one, re­leased a state­ment yes­ter­day af­ter­noon.

“On the 8th of Fe­bru­ary, 2018, our beloved mother, Hane Mathieson, was killed in a traf­fic ac­ci­dent,” they wrote.

“We are shocked and heartbroken. Our deep­est thanks and love for your prayers, love, and the food that has al­ready be­gun to pile up in our homes. We feel well sup­ported and are so thank­ful.

“Please be pa­tient and gen­tle with us as we nav­i­gate the com­ing weeks.”

Friends and fam­ily of­fered their con­do­lences. One wo­man wrote: “I hope you take com­fort in know­ing your mum’s last ac­tions were heroic.” A man wrote: “She was some­one who de­spite tremen­dous ad­ver­sity, held her­self up re­mark­ably well and took stock of the sim­ple things. May she truly rest in peace.”

Ms Mathieson’s daugh­ter Rachel broke down in tears as she ar­rived at the scene of the ac­ci­dent.

The iden­tity of the man who was be­hind the wheel has also been re­vealed.

Ter­e­moana “Tere” Tekii, the fa­ther of a 17-month-old girl, is al­leged to have been driv­ing the United Re­source Man­age­ment truck when it struck Ms Mathieson.

Of­fi­cers from the NSW Po­lice Force’s Metropoli­tan Crash In­ves­ti­ga­tion Unit opened an in­ves­ti­ga­tion and on Thurs­day evening Mr Tekii was charged with dan­ger­ous driv­ing oc­ca­sion­ing death and neg­li­gent driv­ing oc­ca­sion­ing death.

Dan­ger­ous driv­ing oc­ca­sion­ing death car­ries a max­i­mum of 10 years in jail and means po­lice be­lieve he was driv­ing at a dan­ger­ous speed or in a dan­ger­ous man­ner. Neg­li­gent driv­ing oc­ca­sion­ing death car­ries a max­i­mum jail term of 18 months.

“(Mr Tekii) won’t be com­ing back to work for a while,” a spokes­woman for United Re­source Man­age­ment said.

“He’s very, very up­set. We do feel ter­ri­ble for the driver.”

Mr Tekii was granted con­di­tional bail to ap­pear at Manly Lo­cal Court on March 7.

Hane Mathieson, main; the pram be­ing re­moved from the ac­ci­dent scene in Syd­ney’s Dee Why, top right; and Ter­e­moana ‘Tere’ Tekii, above right


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.