Better building beliefs
MOVES to make Queensland building subcontractors accountable for defective work have been welcomed by Master Builders, with the peak body hopeful the next step will ensure engineers and all other building professionals are also held to account. As part of their 2015 Policy & Advocacy Agenda, Master Builders had lobbied the government to reduce the risk for consumers and builders, thereby increasing confidence in the construction process. Master Builders deputy executive director Paul Bidwell welcomed the changes by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC), but said they were still working with the government to ensure all building professionals are eventually held accountable for their work. “This is something we have been wanting for years,” Mr Bidwell said. “We think it’s fantastic that the government has done something about it. “It is one of the things we had asked for in our policy document and the government have delivered on it.” From June 1, subcontractors responsible for defective work will be required to rectify it or face disciplinary action. This could result in suspension or cancellation of their licence. Previously, builders or principal contractors were largely responsible for defective work performed by subcontractors under their supervision.