Karen and Miss Scarlett flee from flames
A FRESHWATER resident ran back into her home to save her cat as a fire swept through a neighbour’s third-floor apartment at an Old Smithfield Rd unit block.
Karen Harrington-Green, who took her tabby cat Miss Scarlett to safety, was one of several tenants forced to evacuate their unit at about 11.30pm on Thursday.
“It sounded like people were throwing bottles and I could smell the smoke,” she said. “I ran out in my dressing gown, no shoes and I thought I better go back and get the cat.”
Fire crews took almost two hours to extinguish the blaze, which is now under investigation. They had to bring in a truck fitted with a telescopic ladder to help reach the area.
Mayura Levett, who lives next door to the apartment complex, said her husband had alerted emergency services after she noticed the blaze through her open window.
“I could see the unit nextdoor glowing and I wasn’t sure if they were watching a movie in the dark, but then the crashing started,” she said.
Neighbour Pam Maher said she was concerned the entire building would go up in flames.
SAFETY FIRST: Karen Harrington-Green escaped with her tabby cat when fire swept through her neighbour’s third-floor Freshwater apartment. Picture: BRENDAN RADKE