Historic Fulham gardens to open
The gardens at Balmoral’s historic Fulham Station will open to the public on November 5 to help raise money for a Balmoral Courthouse Restoration Fund.
The Sunday event, on Walcott Road off Natimuk-hamilton Road, Kanagulk, about 13 kilometres from Balmoral, will open from 10am to 4pm. Patrons will pay $5 to visit the gardens and Balmoral Golf Club will have light refreshments available.
Francis Desailly settled the property in 1840 on behalf of English absentee landlord Sir John Owen.
George Armytage, who bought the 65,000acre property for his son Charles, built the homestead and surrounding buildings in 1846.
Some timber slab outbuildings have been demolished, but 13 heritage-listed structures remain on the Historic Buildings registry. The National Trust has classified the homestead as a significant example of early colonial construction.
Charles Armytage and wife Caroline moved to Fulham in 1856 before buying Como in Melbourne in 1864. The family owned Fulham for 102 years.
The extensive garden of about 3.5 acres was largely demolished in 1950 but has been redeveloped in stages and now features more than 100 varieties of roses, native plants that attract native wildlife and mixed perennial flower beds.