Ter­ror vic­tim’s an­guish over loss of only child

The West Australian - - NEWS - Danielle Gusmaroli

When Sydney mum Ju­marie Cad­man ar­rived home af­ter her world was torn apart in the dev­as­ta­tion of the Barcelona ter­ror at­tacks, she could not get through the front door.

Three times, Ms Cad­man tried to get into their Lalor Park home, but the ab­sence of her seven-year-old son Ju­lian, who was killed in the bar­baric Au­gust as­sault, was too stark.

“My hus­band had to take me back to hos­pi­tal twice and I fi­nally man­aged it the third time, go­ing in through the back gar­den,” she said.

“The hard­est was go­ing into Ju­lian’s play­room, his bed­room; I man­aged with the help of the hos­pi­tal’s so­cial worker.”

Ms Cad­man, 43, has opened up about the Au­gust 17 at­tack for the first time, telling of her an­guish over the loss of her only child in an as­sault that left her with dev­as­tat­ing in­juries.

“I don’t sleep, I miss him ev­ery hour,” she said.

“I loved be­ing a mum but it’s all gone.”

She and her son were in Barcelona to at­tend her niece’s wed­ding for which Ju­lian was to be page boy, while Ju­lian’s dad Andrew Cad­man stayed at home.

The pair were on Las Ram­blas when Moroc­can-born Younes Abouyaaqoub, 22, smashed into the crowds in a van, a cow­ardly act Is­lamic State was quick to claim its own.

He killed 13 peo­ple and in­jured 130 more be­fore flee­ing. He was shot dead by au­thor­i­ties five days later.

“Sum­mer is com­ing but I feel there’s noth­ing to cel­e­brate and I still have the shoes and shirt I bought him in Spain for the wed­ding,” the wheelchair-bound Ms Cad­man said.

“Ju­lian was a bless­ing, who brought so much joy.

“I just want Ju­lian back, I don’t know why I sur­vived and he didn’t.

“We had such a lovely day and I had bought him a toy torch be­cause he had been such a good boy. When we came out of the shop he was snatched from me. “I just felt his hand go.” Ms Cad­man’s cab­i­net-maker hus­band Andrew, 42, said: “You can’t re­build or re­pair the dam­age done — we’re still try­ing to make sense of (it).”

Ms Cad­man had ex­ten­sive surgery to fix her shat­tered legs and pelvis in Barcelona, re­turn­ing to Sydney in Septem­ber and trans­fer­ring to West­mead.

Ju­lian was laid to rest at Par­ra­matta’s St Pa­trick’s Cathe­dral on November 4.

“I want peo­ple to know Ju­lian and I are home,” Ms Cad­man said.

‘I just want Ju­lian back, I don’t know why I sur­vived and he didn’t.’

In­jured Barcelona ter­ror at­tack vic­tim Ju­marie Cad­man and son Ju­lian.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.