Major south-west drug bust
Police raids in St George nets almost 30 people on 180-plus charges
DRUG raids in south west Queensland this week netted almost 30 arrests with more than 180 charges.
Seven of the alleged offenders face charges of trafficking dangerous drugs, after Queensland Police enacted on Operation Oscar Kohl on Wednesday morning.
The operation continued yesterday with further search warrants executed in St George, Surat, Dirranbandi, Toowoomba and Roma.
Detective Inspector Paul Hart said the operation which targeted a “complex drug network” was 18 months in the making.
“It had been running for over a year and was primarily focused on drug distribution in and around St George,” he said.
“Seven people are charged with trafficking dangerous drugs in relation to the drug ice, which is the most serious drug charge.”
Among those charged were a 34-year-old St George man, who was charged with trafficking a dangerous drug and 23 counts of supply offences; a 30-year-old Surat man, who was also charged with trafficking; and an 18-year-old St George woman, who was charged also with trafficking.
Det Insp Hart said none of the alleged offenders were from Roma but some of the people charged did establish connections with the town.
Officers also seized a number of vehicles, ice, cannabis, drug utensils and electronic equipment.
Det Insp Hart said the support of the community contributed to the success of the operation.
“Really the community has driven the operation as they don’t want drugs in their town,” he said.
“They have been happy to provide support and to help us generate targets and ultimately close in on the operation.”
Det Insp Hart said this operation didn’t mean St George had a drug problem worse than any other remote town. “The people in the town are not prepared to tolerate it and are working to stamp it out,” he said.
Investigations are continuing and will be ongoing with a number of further arrests expected to follow in the coming weeks.