Where to grab a cocktail during Vivid Sydney
A signature cocktail at these bars and pubs will be the perfect reprieve from your busy Vivid light hunt
Three Bottle Man
Three is the magic number at this slender venue, and it makes reading the drinks list easy: there’s three whiskies, three ciders, three reds and so on. You can visit for a healthy breakfast or lunch in the daylight hours, but in the evenings it becomes a moody wine and cocktail bar for the local liqueur lover. 1 Bulletin Pl, Sydney 2000.
Three Bottle Man’s Stars in Their Eyes
- 45ml Salted Caramel and Banana Starward whisky - 10ml apple juice - Dash of chocolate bitters Stir and serve over hand-chipped ice. Garnish with a cinnamon quill.
This New Orleans-inspired bar and eatery draws on the region’s melting pot of cultures to bring fier y American flavours to Barangaroo. Start your evening with a tasting from more than 500 whiskies, then move on to something fruity. Tower 1, 100 Barangaroo Ave, Barangaroo South 2000.
Nola’s Lafayette Highball
- 50ml Tito’s Handmade vodka - 10ml Crème de Violette - 20ml lemon juice - 10ml pomegranate syrup Serve over crushed ice and crown with Crème de Mûre. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and an orchard flower.
Sydney’s striking skyline demands an audience, and this open-air rooftop hotel bar has sweeping views of the harbour. Sitting atop the Hyatt Regency Sydney, Zephyr has fancy-pants cocktails to match, with a focus on vintage vermouth and rum sourced from around the world. Lvl 12, 161 Sussex St, Sydney 2000.
Zephyr’s Vivid Cocktail
- 40ml 78 Degrees lavenderinfused gin - 30ml spiced blueberry syrup - 3-4 drops butterfly pea - 10ml lemon juice - Dash of falernum Mix and garnish with berries, mint, edible flowers, orange and lemon. Top with Fever-Tree Mediterranean tonic water.
This pub is the perfect casual pit stop for Circular Quay explorers
Customs House Bar
Its selection of 20 beers, colourful cocktails and the comfortable garden seating makes this 19th-century pub the perfect casual pit stop for Circular Quay explorers. Catch up with friends at the long communal tables before heading out into the fray once more. 30 Pitt St, Sydney 2000.
Customs House Bar’s Vivid Dreams
- 30ml Tito’s vodka - 15ml Galliano Vanilla - 10ml bianco vermouth - 5ml absinthe Shake together and double strain. Garnish with a lemon peel.
Looking to improve your liquor knowledge? The wise barkeeps at this elegant cocktail bar within the Four Seasons Hotel will guide you though their lists of fine Scotch, Japanese whiskies and American drams until you’re whipping up your own stirred-down drinks. 199 George St, Sydney 2000.
- 30ml Starward Solera whisky - 15ml Luxardo Maraschino
liqueur - 15ml Dom Benedictine - 1 dash orange bitters - 1 dash black walnut bitters - 2 dashes chocolate bitters Stir down all ingredients and serve over a single large ice cube. Garnish with an orange peel.
This heritage-listed sandstone bunker in the Rocks is home to an intimate whisky bar peddling rare firewater, stirred-down cocktails and charcuterie. Navigate around 150 whiskies from Australia, Scotland, Ireland, Japan and America, and find rare cask numbers hidden in custom oak cabinets. 77-79 George St, The Rocks 2000.
Doss House’s Star Struck
- 40ml Starward Wine Cask whisky - 15ml plum-infused vermouth - 4 dashes Peychaud’s bitters - Absinthe rinse on glass Stir, strain and garnish with a twist of lemon.
Doss House’s Baked Apple Sour
- 40ml 78 Degrees gin - 10ml Amaro - 15ml spiced apple purée - 10ml caramel - 25ml fresh lemon juice - 20ml egg white Dry and wet shake and fine strain. Garnish with apple slice and cinnamon.
Zephyr’s Vivid Cocktail
Doss House’s Star Struck DBoaskseXXXCocktail dHoAupspele’sSBoaukred Apple Sour