...and abroad

Townsville Bulletin - - Weekend Extra - SPAIN — US — BRI­TAIN —

Marco An­dretti be­came the third gen­er­a­tion of his fam­ily to drive a For­mula One car this week, mak­ing his de­but on the fi­nal day of win­ter test­ing. An­dretti was 14th quick­est af­ter post­ing a time of one minute, 21.873 sec­onds, through 62 laps of the 4.42km cir­cuit in a Honda 2006 RA106 car. The 19-year-old driver is the grand­son of 1978 F1 cham­pion Mario An­dretti and son of for­mer McLaren driver and two-time IndyCar cham­pion Michael An­dretti. US — Olympic and world sprint cham­pion Justin Gatlin has worked out for the Ari­zona Car­di­nals, his sec­ond try­out for an NFL team. Gatlin faces an eight-year ban from ath­let­ics fol­low­ing a pos­i­tive dop­ing test. Gatlin, who has not played Amer­i­can foot­ball since high school, worked out for the Hous­ton Tex­ans on Novem­ber 28. The 24-year-old sprinter still shares the world 100m record of 9.77 sec­onds, but that will be wiped off the books once his dop­ing penalty be­comes of­fi­cial.

Paul Casey’s Ry­der Cup hole-in-one has been voted as the Euro­pean PGA Tour’s shot of the year. The English­man used a four-iron to ace the 193m 14th hole while play­ing four­balls with David Howell against Amer­i­cans Ste­wart Cink and Zach John­son on the sec­ond day of the clash at the K-Club out­side Dublin in Septem­ber. That ef­fort gave the win to Casey and Howell by five and four, the first time in Ry­der Cup his­tory that a hole-in-one had closed out a match.

Michelle Wie has been ac­cepted into Stan­ford Univer­sity and is plan­ning on en­ter­ing the school Tiger Woods at­tended. The 17-year-old said she would en­rol in the pres­ti­gious col­lege next year, dis­pelling any talk she would con­cen­trate ex­clu­sively on her pro­fes­sional golf ca­reer once she fin­ished high school in Hawaii. Wie has missed the cut in all six US PGA Tour events she has played, and is 1-for-12 in mak­ing the cut against the men. BRAZIL — Tens of thou­sands of peo­ple lined the streets of Porto Ale­gre to wel­come home club world cham­pi­ons In­ter­na­cional. In­ter­na­cional, who stunned Barcelona 1-0 in Ja­pan on Sun­day to win the tro­phy, ar­rived in Sao Paulo af­ter fly­ing via Paris. Some fans wore duck masks — a trib­ute to 17-year-old striker Alexandre, who is nick­named Alex the Duck — and oth­ers car­ried ban­ners apol­o­gis­ing to sub­sti­tute Adri­ano, the scorer of the win­ning goal against Barcelona. Adri­ano had been jeered by the crowd dur­ing home matches be­fore the team left for Ja­pan.

Kenyan ath­let­ics of­fi­cials al­layed fears by for­eign ath­letes over the risk of con­tract­ing malaria dur­ing next year’s world cross coun­try cham­pi­onships in Mom­basa. Bri­tain’s for­mer Euro­pean ti­tle holder Jon Brown said he had can­celled plans to run in the March 24 cham­pi­onships be­cause the Kenyan venue was lo­cated in a re­gion prone to malaria out­breaks. But Ath­let­ics Kenya spokesman Peter Ang­wenyi said pre­cau­tions had been taken to en­sure the ho­tels where the ath­letes will be sleep­ing were free from malar­i­acar­ry­ing par­a­sites. GER­MANY — The crib sheet used by Ger­many and Arse­nal goal­keeper Jens Lehmann to help him defy Ar­gentina in the World Cup quar­ter-fi­nal penalty shootout fetched $1.68 mil­lion. The sweat-stained piece of ho­tel notepa­per con­tained scout­ing notes on the Ar­gen­tine penalty-tak­ers, telling Lehmann which way they would di­rect their spot kicks. It was bought dur­ing a tele­vised ap­peal for chil­dren’s char­i­ties by the Ger­man en­ergy pro­ducer EnBW. Ger­many went on to lose 2-0 in the semi-fi­nal to even­tual win­ners Italy. THAI­LAND — Golf’s John­nie Walker Clas­sic is to re­main in Phuket next year fol­low­ing the post­pone­ment of an al­co­hol ad­ver­tis­ing ban by Thai­land’s post-coup gov­ern­ment. Riche Monde, the Thai dis­trib­u­tors of John­nie Walker whisky, said the shelv­ing of the ban meant there was no need to shift the $2.44 mil­lion tri-sanc­tioned tour­na­ment to ei­ther China or South Korea. Adam Scott, Retief Goosen, Ernie Els and Paul Casey have con­firmed they will con­test the March 1-4 tour­na­ment. AUS­TRALIA — Net­ball Aus­tralia (NA) has told world gov­ern­ing body IFNA it’s not able to step in as a re­place­ment host for the world cham­pi­onships next year. IFNA with­drew the host­ing rights from Fiji ear­lier this month fol­low­ing the mil­i­tary coup there and sought ex­pres­sions of in­ter­est from ma­jor net­ball na­tions. Aus­tralia was thought a likely con­tender as it last hosted the qua­dren­nial cham­pi­onship in 1991 — with Eng­land, New Zealand and Ja­maica all host­ing since — and has al­ready bid for the 2011 tour­na­ment. NEW ZEALAND — Touch New Zealand (TNZ) says it’s ‘gut­ted’ three peo­ple as­so­ci­ated with the or­gan­i­sa­tion — one its for­mer chief ex­ec­u­tive, an­other for­mer Ki­wis rugby league cap­tain Hugh McGa­han — have been charged with fraud in­volv­ing com­mu­nity grant ap­pli­ca­tions. High profile ex-Kiwi Brent Todd also ap­peared in Auck­land Dis­trict Court on sim­i­lar charges. The charges were be­lieved to have in­volved hun­dreds of thou­sands of dol­lars of gam­ing ma­chine money.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.