Supercat saves family from fire
A NORTH Queensland family has credited their pet cat with saving their lives in a house fire.
The 10-week-old grey striped cat named Tinny clawed Zacheri Richardson-Leitman’s face after his mattress caught fire as the Cairns family of four lay asleep around 2am yesterday.
‘‘I was sound asleep when the cat scratched me and woke me up,’’ he said. ‘‘I woke up, looked out and my eyes started to burn and I couldn’t hear anything and I started coughing.’’
He then woke the rest of the family who escaped the blaze and alerted fire authorities.
Firefighters believe the fire started from a smouldering cigarette discarded on the floor.