Baby’s in­juries de­tailed

Townsville Bulletin - - Inside Today - by Ryan Mathe­son ryan. mathe­son@ townsville­bul­letin. com. au

MED­I­CAL ex­perts were yes­ter­day called to re­count the mo­ments lead­ing up to the death of three-month-old Rose-Marie Wil­liams.

Mark Al­bert Shoe­smith, 30, has pleaded not guilty to the man­slaugh­ter of the in­fant, be­fore Jus­tice Kerry Cul­li­nane in the Supreme Court in Townsville.

Five med­i­cal work­ers were called to give ev­i­dence via video link from the Proser­pine Hos­pi­tal yes­ter­day.

The 14-week-old in­fant died five days af­ter the de­fen­dant and the child’s 1 7 - y e a r - o l d m o t h e r , K i m b e r l e y Wil­liams, took her to Proser­pine hos­pi­tal on De­cem­ber 9, 2007 with head in­juries. Rose-Marie was trans­ported to Townsville Hos­pi­tal the same day but five days later her life sup­port was switched off due to ex­ten­sive brain dam­age.

Crown pros­e­cu­tor Nigel Rees this week ar­gued there was a strong sug­ges­tion the fa­tal in­juries were from a nonac­ci­den­tal cause.

Dr Martin Carr yes­ter­day re­counted a med­i­cal ex­am­i­na­tion on the child in Novem­ber 2007. Dr Carr said the cou­ple booked their daugh­ter in for an ap­point­ment af­ter the three-month-old was strug­gling to lift her left arm above her head.

‘‘ Her fa­ther said his daugh­ter didn’t want to lift her arm above her head so he was bring­ing her in to find out why,’’ Dr Carr said. ‘‘ Dur­ing the course of lift­ing her left arm above her head I no­ticed a lump on her left col­lar­bone.

‘‘ I rec­om­mended they seek an X-ray to . . . find out what needed to be done.’’

Dr Ken­neth McCal­lum, a med­i­cal prac­ti­tioner at the hos­pi­tal for about eight years, was called into work on De­cem­ber 9, 2007, to in­tu­bate the un­con­scious baby. The child is be­lieved to have sus­tained a torn frenula, in her mouth, which con­nect the cheeks to the gum.

De­fence bar­ris­ter Greg Lyn­ham cross-ex­am­ined the prac­ti­tioner yes­ter­day, ar­gu­ing the child’s frenula could have been dam­aged dur­ing the in­tu­ba­tion process.

Dr McCal­lum said the pro­ce­dure was straight for­ward. ‘‘ I have in­tu­bated sev­eral hun­dred new­born ba­bies,’’ he said.

‘‘ Some­times in dif­fi­cult in­tu­ba­tions that can hap­pen but I re­call this par­tic­u­lar in­tu­ba­tion be­ing very straight for­ward and easy.

‘‘ I don’t re­call there be­ing any bleed­ing from the mouth that would have sug­gested that the frenula had been torn.’’

As­sist­ing Dr McCal­lum was Dr Me­lanie Lewis, who told the court the in­fant ap­peared to have a grid-like pat­tern of in­dents on her nose, a di­lated left eye, and a lin­ear bruise on her fore­head when taken into hos­pi­tal.

The trial con­tin­ues on Mon­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.