Fire risk from dryer lint fil­ter

Townsville Bulletin - - Inside Today -

NEARLY a third of Aus­tralians have been found to risk house­hold fires by not emp­ty­ing the lint fil­ter on their clothes dryer with ev­ery use. A sur­vey has found baby boomers are most likely to check the lint fil­ter, but sub­se­quent gen­er­a­tions are pro­gres­sively more ca­sual. It found 76 per cent of boomers made sure the fil­ter was clean, as did 69 per cent of Gen X re­spon­dents, but only 45 per cent of Gen Y stirred them­selves to empty out the fil­ter. Ap­pli­ance web­site About. com warns about the dan­gers of not clean­ing lint fil­ters. ‘‘ When your lint fil­ter be­comes plugged, it re­stricts the flow of heated air which can in­crease risk of fire.’’

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.