Two die after receiving electric shocks
TOWNSVILLE’S electrical contractors are upset but not surprised after the deaths of two local men yesterday from electric shocks.
The deaths prompted a warning from one Townsville electrician who said such tragedies were inevitable because cyclone damage had made many buildings treacherous.
Desperate attempts were made yesterday by ambulance officers to save a man who suffered an electric shock while working on airconditioning ducting at the Landmark building in Garbutt.
A 23-year-old man also died yesterday after spending a week in intensive care following a similar incident at Bluewater Park last Wednesday.
In the latest incident, QAS was called to the Landmark building to find a 52-year-old unconscious.
Police believed exposed electrical wires touching metal framework caused the incident.
A QAS spokeswoman said crews performed CPR but he was unable to be revived.
A QFRS spokesman said fire officers were first on scene.
‘‘ They shut off the power to the building,’’ he said. ‘‘ Officers then helped QAS in the resuscitation.’’
Queensland Police media said a report would be prepared for the coroner, with Workplace Health and Safety to investigate.
Landmark management refused to speak with the Townsville Bull
etin about the incident yesterday.
The 23-year-old man was taken to hospital last Wednesday following an electric shock at a business on Webb Drive.
Queensland Health refused to comment on the man’s cause of death.
Electrical contractors are now urging one another to take special care working with wiring, especially on damaged buildings.
Electrician John McLean of Arawa Hay Electrical said deaths in his line of work were inevitable.
‘‘ If you’re playing with fire you may get burnt, that’s the reality,’’ he said.
Mr McLean has been an electrician for the past 24 years and said these two tragedies highlighted the dangers workers faced everyday.
‘‘ Caution should always be of the utmost importance, especially when working on cyclone-damage buildings’’ he said. ‘‘ It’s important we all follow the rule book.’’
Mr McLean said he believed electrical safety laws weren’t to blame.
‘‘ These deaths are tragic but safety is up to the individual at the end of the day,’’ he said.
Authorities last night refused to release both men’s names.