For­mer Bowen coun­cil­lor dies in tragic ac­ci­dent Shot­gun dis­charges

Townsville Bulletin - - Inside Today - by John An­der­sen john. an­der­sen@ townsville­bul­letin. com. au

TRIB­UTES are pour­ing in for pop­u­lar Bowen busi­ness i den­tity Wayne Bid­good who was killed Wed­nes­day when his shot­gun went off while hunt­ing near t he El­liot River north of Bowen.

The hard­work­ing 54-yearold trans­port op­er­a­tor was climb­ing through a fence near the mouth of the El­liot River at Guthalun­gra when his sin­gle-bar­rel shot­gun went off, killing him in­stantly.

Mr Bid­good was

widely re­spected for his work with or­gan­i­sa­tions such as the St Mary’s Parish and for his time as a lo­cal coun­cil­lor.

De­tec­tive Sergeant Mark In­mon of the Bowen CIB, said in­ves­ti­ga­tions into Mr Bid­good’s death were fi­nalised yes­ter­day.

He said po­lice found Mr Bid­good had stopped his car at a boundary fence next to the gravel ac­cess road to the El­liot River fish­ing huts and set out on foot af­ter a mob of pigs.

‘‘ We be­lieve he alighted from the ve­hi­cle with a 12gauge shot­gun and that while try­ing to get through a barbed wire fence he has made the mis­take of putting the gun butt on a lower wire to help spread the wires so h e c o u l d g e t t h r o u g h . ‘‘ When he did this he had the gun point­ing at him, it dis­charged and he suf­fered a fa­tal wound to the chest and died very quickly.

‘‘ This was a tragic ac­ci­dent that should never have hap­pened.’’

Det Sgt In­mon said Mr Bid­good had never fal­tered when asked to do some­thing for lo­cal or­gan­i­sa­tions.

‘ ‘ You wouldn’t meet nicer bloke.

‘‘ He’d al­ways help some­one out. If some­one needed a truck for some sort of event, he’d al­ways pro­vide one.


‘‘ He was in­volved in a lot of things with the com­mu­nity,’’ he said.

Mr Bid­good’s wife of 26 years, Raynee, said her hus­band had gone to the house they were ren­o­vat­ing at the El­liot on Tues­day.

‘‘ We had a house we’d moved there and Wayne was ren­o­vat­ing it. That’s what he was do­ing on Tues­day,’’ she said.

Mrs Bid­good said her husb a nd p honed t hei r s o n Clin­ton at 6am Wed­nes­day to tell him he was leav­ing for Bowen and that he was go­ing to try and shoot a pig t h a t h a d b e e n d i g g i n g around huts at the El­liot.

Mrs Bid­good said her hus- band had a fork­lift job sched­uled for 7.30am on W e d n e s d a y a n d t h a t Clin­ton be­came con­cerned when he didn’t ar­rive.

Det Sgt In­mon said Mr Bid­good’s body was found that morn­ing by vis­i­tors.

Mrs Bid­good said her hus­band had been start­ing to make plans for re­tire­ment.

Bowen busi­ness­man Paul Hillery said Mr Bid­good was a ‘‘ good bloke to do busi­ness with’’.

‘‘ There were never any dra­mas. He was al­ways there to help you.’’

Mr Bid­good is sur­vived by his wife Raynee and chil­dren Clin­ton, 24, Frank, 22, and Ta­mara, 21.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.