Safety call af­ter death of welder

Townsville Bulletin - - News - by Natalie Wynne

IN­VES­TI­GA­TIONS are un­der­way into the death of 23-year-ol d Daniel Morris who died af­ter s uff eri ng an el ec­tri c shock while weld­ing last week.

Mas­ter El e c t r i c i a ns Aus t r a l i a h a s u r g e d h o m e a n d b u s i n e s s own­ers to en­sure safety switches are in­stalled to avoid more deaths.

A source close to Mr Morris said an in­ves­ti­ga­tion was un­der­way into the cir­cum­stances sur­round­ing his death.

The pro­duc­tion man­ager at Skilled was elec­tro­cuted while weld­ing.

‘‘ We don’t know what hap­pened or what’s at fault, they are still in­vest­gat­ing,’’ she said.

‘‘ He got CPR when the am­bu­lance ar­rived and he went to hos­pi­tal for a week un­til Wed­nes­day m o r n i n g died).’’

The source said the for­mer Kir­wan State High stu­dent was larger than life and was al­ways sur­rounded by friends.

‘‘ He had a hun­dred friends,’’ she said.

‘‘ He drew ev­ery­one in and no­body left.

‘‘ He loved to make sure he pushed the bound­aries and al­ways had fun.’’

The source said Mr M o r r i s ’ f a m i l y a n d friends had been left dev­as­tated by his death.

‘‘ He went to work one day and all of a sud­den he never came home,’’ she said.

‘‘ No-one knows what to d o w i t h t h e ms e l v e s now.’’

She said the Departm e n t o f W o r k p l a c e Health and Safety was look­ing into the mat­ter.

Mas­ter El e c t r i c i a ns Aus­tralia chief ex­ec­u­tive Mal­colm Richards s a i d mo s t e l e c t r i c a l

( w h e n

h e deaths i n Aus­tralian homes could be pre­vented through the use of safety switches.

‘‘ A safety switch will cut the power to a cir­cuit i n j ust mil­lisec­onds, which is fast enough to pre­vent elec­tro­cu­tion,’’ he said.

‘‘ Even some­thing as sim­ple as touch­ing a loose con­nec­tion while work­ing in the roof can cost your life, or the life of a loved one. An in­vest­ment of around $ 250 can be the dif­fer­ence be­tween life and death.’’

He also urged peo­ple to switch off mains elec­tric­ity be­fore en­ter­ing a roof space to con­duct any work, re­gard­less of whether or not t hey were work­ing with elec­tric­ity.

‘‘ Ac­ci­den­tally con­tact­ing an elec­tri­cal cir­cuit or even a metal fit­ting that has be­come live can cause sud­den death,’’ he said. ‘‘ Play it safe and turn off the power first.’’

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.