odd spot

Townsville Bulletin - - Text The Editor -

US fire of­fi­cials say a lum­ber­ing pet turtle sparked a fast-mov­ing fire in a New York City apart­ment af­ter crawl­ing out of its tank and knock­ing over the ter­rar­ium’s heat lamp.

Gio­vani, a six-year-old African tor­toise about the size of a soc­cer ball, sur­vived.

But of­fi­cials say one fire­fighter and three po­lice of­fi­cers suf­fered smoke in­hala­tion dur­ing the fire in Bay Ridge, Brook­lyn.

An­other turtle that lived in a wa­ter tank was killed.

The owner, Mo­hamed Salem, 18, and his fam­ily were not home at the time.

Fire of­fi­cials say the heat lamp crashed to the floor, ig­nit­ing a pile of art sup­plies, in­clud­ing thin­ner and paint.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.