Ma­jes­tic voy­age

Townsville Bulletin - - Front Page - By Emma Chad­wick

are sea­soned trav­ellers and then there are those who make sea­soned trav­ellers look like week­end war­riors.

Townsville cou­ple Wayne and Lyn Haller be­gan trav­el­ling many years ago for work and re­tire­ment has not slowed them down.

Wayne’s work as an in­ter­na­tional pub­lic speaker has taken them to nu­mer­ous coun­tries over the years, but a re­cent cruise topped the Haller’s bucket list of most mem­o­rable voy­ages.

The cou­ple were among 2058 pas­sen­gers to join the Cu­nard cruise l i ne’s his­toric maiden 103-night round-the-world voy­age aboard the MS Queen El­iz­a­beth, from Southamp­ton on Jan­uary 5 this year.

The 4 7 - night s l i ce of t heir jour­ney saw them cross two great oceans, the North At­lantic and the Pa­cific, as did the early sea­far­ing ex­plor­ers.

Mr Haller said one of the high­lights of the cruise in­cluded cross­ing both the equa­tor and the in­ter­na­tional date­line, where they lost

TRIP OF A LIFE­TIME: Wayne and Lyn Haller on one of their many ad­ven­tures a day on Fe­bru­ary 11. ‘ ‘ The Panama Canal was some­thing I had al­ways wanted to do – you go in at sea level and the level goes up 6.7m through a se­ries of six lochs,’’ he said.

‘‘ I found out the fee for Cu­nards to cruise through the lochs is $ 330,000.’’

And while mil­lions watched the re­gal trio of Queen El­iz­a­beth, Queen Mary II, and

Lyn Haller takes in the view

Queen Vic­to­ria sail nose-to-tail through the fan­fare past the Statue of Lib­erty on TV, the Haller’s lived the spec­ta­cle from the top deck.

‘‘ We were in a line one be­hind the other when we came into New York har­bour,’’ Mr Haller said.

‘‘ It was the first time the grand ladies of the Cu­nard fleet had been to­gether in the one har­bour, so it was an his­toric event.

‘‘ New York had bathed the Em­pire State build­ing in the red cor­po­rate colours of the Cu­nard line and as we passed the Statue of Lib­erty, there was a 15-minute fire­works dis­play and dozens of boats were shoot­ing up wa­ter.

‘‘ It was 6.30pm with sub­zero tem­per­a­tures and lower Man­hat­tan was all lit up, it was very beau­ti­ful.’’

Af­ter leav­ing New York, the ship con­tin­ued on its course call­ing into the stun­ning trop­i­cal ports of Aca­pulco, Cabo San Lu­cas on the Mex­i­can coast, and Los An­ge­les.

It crossed the Pa­cific Ocean to Mauii and Honolulu, Tonga, tak­ing in beau­ti­ful Fiji and New Zealand be­fore cruis­ing through Cook Strait into Syd­ney.

Mrs Haller said it was with so much pride, that they and the 400 other Aussies on board sailed into Syd­ney Har­bour, which was lined with peo­ple who came out to watch the new Queen El­iz­a­beth and MS Queen Mary II.

The Haller’s own sons watched the ship cruise into the fi­nal port of call for of one of their most mem­o­rable jour­neys.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.