LIGHTER EXPLOSION AGONY
A CLONCURRY carer is nursing three burnt fingers after a lighter exploded while she was driving to Townsville.
Patty Wyborn, 55, was travelling along the Kennedy Highway when she tried to light a cigarette about 11am on Saturday and the BIC lighter burst into flames.
“I heard a pop. It sounded like a cap gun going off and then there were flames,” Ms Wyborn said.
“I have never felt pain like it. Labour is a mild headache compared to the pain I felt. “It felt like my fingernails were melting.” The frightening incident occurred while Ms Wyborn was travelling at 100km/ h between Walkamin and Tolga on the Atherton Tableland.
She recalled seeing flames and throwing the lighter from the car in a panic before sitting on her hand to put the fire out.
Ms Wyborn then drove about 20km to Tolga, saying she felt faint due to the pain.
She went to the local hospital where doctors gave her various painkillers, including morphine.
“They ( painkillers) did nothing to ease the pain,” she said.
“They ended up having to give me nerve blocks just to stop the pain. It was agony.”
Ms Wyborn requires daily dressings to prevent infection and scarring to her fingers. “Even now, I can’t stop shaking,” she said. The Townsville Bulletin sent a request for comment to the BIC office in France but the company has not yet responded.
FLAMING SHOCK: Patty Wyborn suffered burns to several of her fingers when a cigarette lighter exploded while she was driving.