Hand sani­tiser poses deadly threat to kids

Townsville Bulletin - - NEWS - LU­CIE VAN DEN BERG

EMER­GENCY doc­tors are warn­ing about the dan­gers of hand sani­tis­ers af­ter a tod­dler be­came se­verely in­tox­i­cated and al­most died from ac­ci­den­tally drink­ing a small amount from a bot­tle.

The girl had a lethal amount of al­co­hol in her sys­tem – more than five times the le­gal al­co­hol limit – when she ar­rived at the hos­pi­tal.

The Mel­bourne Royal Chil­dren’s Hos­pi­tal Dr Michael Bar­rett said the three year old, who came to the emer­gency depart­ment last Septem­ber, was so un­well that she had to be placed in a coma to re­cover. De­spite be­ing un­der con­stant su­per­vi­sion, the tod­dler con­sumed an es­ti­mated 55ml of hand sani­tiser.

Par­ents and car­ers are urged to place them out of reach of chil­dren. In­gest­ing only a small amount can cause se­vere ethanol tox­i­c­ity in a child.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.