KYRGIOS’ DAVIS CUP THREAT
AUSTRALIA’S Davis Cup crisis has worsened amid claims Nick Kyrgios is threatening to withdraw from the team in retaliation for Bernard Tomic’s sacking.
News Corp has been told Kyrgios messaged Tennis Australia staff immediately after learning Tomic had been stood down from Cup selection to say he would not play.
Tomic was dumped from the team to face Kazakhstan in Darwin from July 17- 19 after savaging TA officials in a wide- ranging attack.
Tomic accused TA of abandoning him after he underwent hip surgery last year.
John Tomic told News Corp Bernard was ordered to apologise for his attack on TA – and was prepared to do so.
But after several hours of meetings with TA president Steve Healy, chief executive and Davis Cup captain Wally Masur, he was banished.
Tomic left the All England Club abruptly and soon after Kyrgios is claimed to have sent text messages to team officials saying he will not play for Australia.
John Tomic said TA is “discriminating against a player who wants to play Davis Cup”.
He also insisted Bernard had the support of Kyrgios.
The situation remains at flashpoint ahead of Kyrgios’ fourth- round Wimbledon match with Frenchman Richard Gasquet.
Kyrgios could not be contacted for comment.
Tomic said on Friday Kyrgios would not play unless he did.
“It’s interesting what’s happened the last week that Nick wasn’t going to play, as well,” Tomic said.
“He said ‘ If you don’t play, I don’t play’.”
Tomic’s attack on TA director of performance Pat Rafter, Tiley and Healy triggered the split.
He accused the trio of mismanagement, neglect and bias after the family’s long- running feud over funding for Sara Tomic.
“His behaviour was unac- ceptable,” Healy responded.
“Playing for our country is an absolute privilege, and with that privilege comes an obligation to behave appropriately. He didn’t.
“The allegations are misinformed and untrue and he publicly derided some outstanding people.
“We are trying to build a strong culture underpinned by a philosophy of opportunity, not entitlement. This behaviour is just not on.
“Hopefully he will learn from this. Our entire tennis community is committed to working hard to help all our players, including Bernard, be the best tennis players, and the best people, they can be.”
Tiley denied Tomic had been unfairly treated. “He’s enjoyed great support from the organisation from the age of 11- 12,” Tiley said.
“The organisation, through its support and funding, really helped him get to where he is today.
“He himself has got himself there but we, as an organisation, have been a really key partner in all of that.
“Our developmental pathway goes to a certain point. He’s now making a lot of money. He’s enjoying benefits of contracts and he’s an athlete that can support himself.
“It’s a simple decision off the back of the comments Bernie made last night ... It will really be up to Bernard.”
DOUBLE TROUBLE: Nick Kyrgios and Bernard Tomic may both be missing from Australia’s Davis Cup squad. Picture: GETTY IMAGES