Townsville Laundries gutted by blaze
CHEMICALS inside a commercial laundry fuelled an inferno that gutted the building in minutes last night.
Fire crews were called to Townsville Laundries at Garbutt about 6.20pm, but the fire quickly took hold and threatened to ignite neighbouring businesses.
Nearby residents were also warned to keep windows and doors closed due to the potentially toxic smoke.
Laundry employee Wanthanee McCloud said her partner had driven past her workplace when he saw flames.
“He rang me and I just had to come down,” she wept.
“I have worked here for about a year and finished work about 4pm.
“It was a great place to work. It made me cry to see this. I can’t stop crying.”
Mount Louisa resident Sandra Smith said she could see the flames from her home. “It’s sad to see a local business like this,” she said.
Six fire trucks and several police cars and ambulances were on the scene as the fire gutted the building. At times the flames were so intense that windows blew out and blue and green- coloured flames shot from windows.
Emergency crews were still at the scene late last night, with firefighters keeping an eye on embers within the building. Woolcock St between Pilkington St and Dalrymple Rd remained closed to traffic.
INFERNO: The flames spread throughout the building as chemicals ignited.
BRAVE BATTLE: Firefighters confront a fierce blaze at Townsville Laundries in Garbutt last night.