Party erupts as man stabbed

Townsville Bulletin - - NEWS - LUCY SMITH

A PALM Is­land man’s 18th birth­day erupted in vi­o­lence when he drunk­enly stabbed another man in re­tal­i­a­tion for an at­tack on his sis­ter.

Shane Parker was stabbed in the back twice with a knife and had to be flown to Townsville Hos­pi­tal for surgery on his col­lapsed lung.

Harry Fri­day, 18, pleaded guilty in Townsville Dis­trict Court yes­ter­day to two counts of griev­ous bod­ily harm, un­law­fully en­ter­ing a car, ob­struct­ing po­lice and at­tempted bur­glary.

Crown prose­cu­tor Jodie Crane said on De­cem­ber 10 last year, Fri­day and Mr Parker were at a Palm Is­land party.

Fri­day’s sis­ter told him Mr Parker had hit her in the head with a bar.

“At about 6.30am the fol­low­ing morn­ing, af­ter ev­ery­one had been drink­ing at this party, es­sen­tially all day and all night, ( Fri­day) ap­proached ( Mr Parker) and asked why he hit his sis­ter,” Ms Crane said.

“The two of them be­gan to fight. The fight was ini­tially a fair one, with each trad­ing blows with their fists.”

Ms Crane said at one point Fri­day fell over and the fight ended. Two males ap­proached Mr Parker and tried to fight him.

As that was hap­pen­ing, Fri­day came back and stabbed Mr Parker in the back with a “fairly de­cent sized knife”.

When po­lice ar­rived, they de­scribed the scene as “a hun­dred peo­ple drunk and fight­ing”.

Ms Crane said Mr Parker was sen­tenced to 15 months jail for the at­tack on Fri­day’s sis­ter.

De­fence bar­ris­ter Scott Geeves said Fri­day and Mr Parker had been liv­ing in the same res­i­den­tial block at Townsville Cor­rec­tional Cen­tre.

“They’ve been able to co­ex­ist, as it were, to­gether with­out any is­sue,” he said.

Ms Crane said at the time of the stab­bing, Fri­day had been on bail for another griev­ous bod­ily harm charge, com­mit­ted on Fe­bru­ary 1 last year.

Fri­day had been drink­ing at a party all night when he kinghit then con­tin­ued to punch another man at 6.30am.

“( The vic­tim) went to hos­pi­tal and was treated for a bro­ken jaw,” Ms Crane said.

Hours af­ter that at­tack, Fri­day and a co- of­fender searched through a car parked out­side PCYC, then tried to break into a snack bar.

Mr Geeves said Fri­day had a dif­fi­cult up­bring­ing, but had been a promis­ing boxer.

He mostly ab­stained from drink­ing, apart from on the nights of the at­tacks.

“He is find­ing out to­day, the hard way, that al­co­hol doesn’t agree with him. It’s not for him and he should shy away from it for the rest of his life,” he said.

Judge Gre­gory Lyn­ham ad­journed the mat­ter to to­mor­row for sen­tenc­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.