Now time for Wright to speak
“She’s ( Ms Lamont- Stanfield) said to me, half screaming, ‘ did you really do it’. I said, ‘ did we really do what?’ and she said ‘ did you kill someone?’.
“I said, ‘ don’t be so f--- ing stupid’. I looked at Kevin and said ‘ what the f-- k have you been saying?’ ”
Mr Eastaughffe said he did not remember Mr Wright responding to his question but that incident broke their friendship and the two were no longer in contact.
In the transcript of an intercepted phone call between Mr Eastaughffe and a friend from 2014, Mr Eastaughffe referred to Mr Wright as a “queer c-- t” and spoke of the Jones disappearance.
Prosecuting barrister Mi- chael Nicolson told the inquest the phone call came at a time when detectives had been in Hughenden following up leads on the case.
“You make a reference to the news, you say ‘ the coppers are getting f--- ing warrants to go search the slaughter yards about Tony Jones’,” Mr Nicolson read from the transcript.
“You say, ‘ the slaughter yards and the f--- ing Grand Hotel,’ … was that information in the media at the time?”
Mr Eastaughffe answered yes.
“You say the words, ‘ only ever two people at the slaughter yards, Kevin and Nobby’.
“You say the words, ‘ anyhow, might be why the queer c-- t, has been queer all his life’ … who are you referring to there?”
Mr Eastaughffe replied: “That would have been Kevin Wright. He just talks out, he seems to flip from one thing to another and talks a lot of dribble.”
Mr Eastaughffe admitted he could not account for his whereabouts on November 3, 1982, the suspected date Jones was killed. He was also questioned about the exact date he had left Townsville Grammar School, where he was boarding, to head home to Hughenden.
He told the inquest he believed he had been open and honest throughout the years of questioning.
“I believe I’ve given all the information asked of me, yes,” he said. The inquest continues today. A SECOND person of interest in the disappearance of Tony Jones and the talking point of much of this week’s inquest, Kevin Wright, will finally take the stand today.
It will be the first time the Jones family will hear from and question Mr Wright following his unsuccessful bid in the Supreme Court to be dismissed from giving evidence.
Mr Wright has been the subject of much of the evidence given this week at the inquest, with Tony Jones’s brother Mark telling the Bulletin last night that it was time to hear from the man himself.
“The man that’s tried so hard not to speak, he’s a man that everybody needs to hear his side of the story from, so yes, absolutely, let’s hope he does speak,” Mr Jones said.
“The allegations are there, it’s very odd that he would choose to attempt not to speak after having such a big mouth, so here’s his chance, let’s hope he uses it.”
Mr Jones said the family were pleased with how day four had proceeded yesterday, hearing from John Eastaughffe and having his version of events aired.
“We’re very happy to get the record from the horse’s mouth,” he said. “This is not a trial, it’s not a witch hunt, it’s about getting to the truth and that’s why it’s important to hear from these people.”
Mr Jones said the family hoped more witnesses were able to be called next week to lend weight to their request to have the slaughter yards at Hughenden excavated.
“We hope the Coroner uses next week wisely – we need to tie up as many loose ends as possible,” he said.
“There are still some key people yet to speak and we need to examine where Tony might lie.
“There’s lots of discussions about things out at the ( Hughenden) slaughter yards. We’ve applied to the Coroner, prior to the inquest, to issue a warrant to excavate those premises.
“We’re hoping that will be a topic of discussion and we have people there as witnesses next week to ( support) that argument.”