Palmer puts doubt on fair trial
SHOWY businessman Clive Palmer claims he may not get a fair trial because of the publicity on his recent luxury cruise and the Federal Government’s lawsuit against him.
Mr Palmer, who is known for outlandish business exploits including wanting to build a Titanic replica and a dinosaur park, has responded to the government- appointed liquidators’ attempt to freeze his assets and claw back hun- dreds of millions of dollars from Queensland Nickel’s collapse.
In a Supreme Court affidavit, he outlines achievements as a former MP and a national living treasure before complaining that negative publicity – including press releases from the liquidators – may ruin his chance of a fair hearing.
“The court should not be used as a forum to allow plain- tiffs to capitalize ( sic) by issuing press releases in such way as to diminish the public perception of myself. I therefore am concerned that these proceedings may be an abuse of process.”
Mr Palmer also said he was “hounded by the press and photographers” during a recent cruise ship holiday in Europe.
INTERPOL is now hunting for fugitive ex- Queensland Nickel director Clive Mensink.
Documents lodged in the Brisbane Supreme Court reveal the Australian Federal Police have sought assistance from the international crime fighting organisation, which advised Mr Mensink’s last known whereabouts to be Hong Kong.
Liquidators are trying to serve Mr Mensink with a lawsuit, which if successful, could see him forced to pay up to $ 110 million in compensation for allegedly trading while insolvent and breaching his duties as a director.
In an application to argue the lawsuit could be served on his uncle Clive Palmer in his absence, a letter was tendered from the Sheriff of the Federal Court outlining recent efforts to execute two arrest warrants on the businessman for failing to appear at an examination into QN’s collapse.
It is the arrest warrants that involve the crime authorities.
Mr Mensink is not accused of any criminal offences.
“Inquiries by the AFP have ascertained that Mr Mensink remains overseas,” the Sheriff wrote on July 28.
“The AFP has sought assistance from Interpol, resulting in a Blue Notice being raised.
“The most recent advice is that Mr Mensink arrived in Hong Kong on 8 June 2017 and departed there on 9 June 2017.”
The Sheriff said the AFP had not received any further advice since then, but both agencies were hamstrung because Mr Mensink – who has been overseas more than a year – is not accused of any extraditable offence. “No further action can be taken until Mr Mensink returns to Australia,” the letter noted.
There is a border alert in place, and the AFP will be notified immediately if Mr Mensink returns to Australia.
The warrants for his arrest were issued by the Federal Court in March after repeated attempts to have him give evidence at a public examination into QN’s collapse last January with $ 300 million in debt and 800 job losses.
When efforts were made to serve Mr Mensink with a subpoena last year, his ex- wife said he was in Germany and due back in four weeks.
Mr Mensink has since been to Boston, South America, Europe, London and Hong Kong in the past year.