JCU staff reject EB agreement
STAFF at James Cook University have voted against a proposed enterprise bargaining agreement.
JCU management took the vote to staff after 18 months of negotiations with the National Tertiary Education Union.
A majority of 58 per cent voted no to the agreement, while the remaining 42 per cent voted yes.
Deputy vice chancellor for services and resources Tricia Brand said 54.4 per cent of staff took part in the vote.
“We’ll start looking at what our options are next week,” Ms Brand said.
“We need to take the time, we need to work out the next step.”
Ms Brand said that after lengthy negotiations with the NTEU, management might consider options which included the Fair Work Commission.
NTEU JCU branch president Jonathan Strauss said the university needed to listen to what staff were telling them.
“The majority went against what JCU management have proposed and that should be considered,” Mr Strauss said.
“We never left the negotiation process.”