The Silent Movie Theatre
This Fairfax Avenue Art Deco cinema was once famous for screening only silent movies. Built in 1942, this was where to see silent legends such as Charlie Chaplin and Laurel & Hardy in action. These days, the 158seat cinema has been fully restored to its 1940s glory and is a favourite for lm festivals, independent movies and retro events. It’s also been used for private screenings for stars such as Johnny Depp and Bruce Springsteen.
QUIET COMEDY Charlie Chaplin (right) and Ben Turpin in movie His New Job.