Police welcome in Tweed
First officer arrived in 1892
THE residents of Tweed Heads, tired of being without a permanent police officer in the town, sent a petition to the NSW Minister for Justice.
Word was received in October 1891 that the petition asking that a constable be permanently stationed in the town was denied.
“The Minister is directed by the Colonial Secretary to inform the petitioners that the Inspector General of Police reports that there are not sufficient funds available and as the matter is not of a pressing urgency it has been deferred until next year.”
True to the Minister’s word, a new police station was built at Cooloon (Tweed Heads) and in April 1892, the town’s residents welcomed the news that Constable W H Heins had been appointed to take charge of the station.
Constable Heins was promoted to the grade of first-class constable in 1895 and in 1896 Mr Henry Minnaw built new police quarters for Tweed Heads.
The buildings “were considered an ornament to the town”.
POLICE: The first police quarters in Tweed Heads was built in 1896.