Strawberry syrup fizz
serves / 8 prep / 15 minutes cook / 20 minutes
20 small strawberries
¼ cup fresh mint sprigs, plus extra to serve
1 cup gin
1.25L soda water, chilled Strawberry syrup
500g strawberries, hulled, chopped
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1. Using 2 x 10-hole ice cube trays, place 1 strawberry in each ice-cube tray hole. Fill each hole three-quarters full with water. Freeze overnight or until frozen.
2. Meanwhile, make strawberry syrup: Place strawberries, sugar and 1 ½ cups water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stand for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
3. Strain strawberry mixture through a fine sieve lined with muslin into a large jug. Using the back of a large spoon, squeeze out liquid. Discard solids. Pour strained mixture into a clean saucepan.
4. Place pan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until syrupy. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool. Seal. Refrigerate until chilled.
5. Place ice cubes and mint in a 2.5Lcapacity serving jug. Add syrup, gin and soda water. Stir well to combine. Divide among glasses and garnish with extra mint.
Recipe by Lucy Nunes, Super Food Ideas Photo by Andrew Young