• Mandurah is less than an hour’s drive south of Perth, located on the coast. Take the freeway south and get off at Mandjoogoordap Road. Trains and buses also operate between the two cities. transperth.wa.gov.au
• Buses operate around Mandurah, but if you want to explore the Peel region extensively you’re better off hiring a car. There are some tour companies that will help you explore certain parts of the region.
WHEN TO GO
• The Peel Region can be visited any time of the year. Being on the coast, it’s spectacular in spring and in summer. But during winter, the scenery is amazing. You can find something to do all year around.
WHERE TO STAY
Like everything else in the Peel region, the accommodation options throughout have improved. There are B&Bs, caravan parks and camping sites, as well as known brands such as Seashells, Quest and the Sebel. • dolphinquayapartments.com.au
• accorhotels.com (Sebel) • seashells.com.au/resorts/mandurah
• For something a little different and a lot of fun, consider a houseboat. No skipper ticket is required.
The boats accommodate up to 10 people. houseboatsmandurah.com.au
WHERE TO EAT AND DRINK
• Redmanna Waterfront Restaurant has the best location in Mandurah. You can sit by the window for hours and watch the traffic go by on the water of Mandjar Bay. redmanna.com.au
• The Oyster Bar offers oysters chilled and grilled
– nine different ways. It’s also a waterfront wine bar, with a great range of beer, wine and spirits. oysterbar.com.au/mandurah
• Terrific Thai food. Full stop! silkthai.com.au
• Mandurah has stepped up with the Oceanic Bar & Grill. You can sit overlooking the Dolphin Quay Marina and enjoy a beer and something from the modern Australian menu. oceanicbargrill.com.au
• Felicity Evans is gaining a following at Flics Kitchen because she is clearly having fun in her kitchen. This is a great place to sit with friends and enjoy some share plates. flicskitchen.com
WHAT TO DO
• Golf – As well as Meadow Springs and The Cut there are courses at Mandurah Country Club, Waroona, Boddington and Pinjarra. visitpeel.com.au
• Hotham Valley Railway: hothamvalleyrailway.com.au • Canoeing: dwellingupadventures.com.au
• Canals cruises: mandurahcruises.com.au
• Treetop Adventures: treesadventure.com.au