Vegan Tortilla Soup
TRY this recipe from the Dietitians Association of Australia spokesperson Nicole Dynan to add more nutrition to your winter diet.
Access nutrition tips and wholesome soup recipes at ‘Smart Eating for a Healthier You’ at daa.asn.au.
1. Preheat oven to 190°C. 2. Spray both sides of the tortillas with oil spray and slice into thin strips.
3. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 8-12 minutes, until crisp. Set aside.
4. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil, onions, garlic and chilli powder for 2 minutes. Add kale and capsicum and cook until soft (about 5 minutes).
5. Add stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
6. Carefully puree hot soup with a stick blender until smooth.
7. When serving, top each bowl with: 6 baked tortilla strips, 1-2 tablespoons black beans, 1 avocado wedge, 1 tablespoon coriander and a squeeze of lime.
chilli of your choice at step 4.
with 1 tablespoon of cumin and 1 teaspoon paprika if too hot for the kids.
of water for a lower sodium soup.